buying a bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2000, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

buying a bronco

Ok, this is going to be a really long post about the bronco Im looking at buying. If you're not interested, hit the back button now. This bronco started with my best friend. We are both big ford fans, and he wanted one bad. We started researching while in college, and started making the parts list. We live in Maine, with lots of snow and salt. Everything around here is rotten. He bought an orange 72 bronco, with 80 original miles, bone stock from Toms Bronco in Oregon, and shipped it out. He did have Tom install a full cage and a Rancho 3" lift with dual shocks. It ran and looked beautiful when it showed up, and all the gages, gas tanks, etc worked good. The front seats had some significant wear, and the steering was a little loose.

We put in a professionally built 69 351 with E'brock intake and electric choke quadrajet carb, new clutch, Hurst shifter, hood bubble, cut the fenders with james duff flares, 33 MT mud TA's, nice aluminum wheels, headers, had a custom 2.5" exhaust with dynomax mufflers that exits out back through 3" tips on the sides of the hitch, the tubular bumpers with the front one that sticks out at an upward angle, KC lights, and black stoft top. Everything like the hood bubble and flares were put on with all stainless fasteners. It spent the next month at my buddys body shop while we prepped it for paint and he painted it orange again, including the top.

I know there was some other small stuff he put in, too, but that sums it up. He has every reciept, and had it appraised at 19.5k.

He drove it for a couple thousand miles, and that winter on our way back to college one sunday he hit some ice and rolled it between the median. The roll cage saved his live as the top peeled off like a tuna can being opened. It sat in his driveway mangled for a few months. I dont know about him, but I felt like I'd lost a loved one.

He found a body shop that was interested in tackling the project. He got 7600 from the insurance company, plus the bronco. He bought another bronco from toms for 2500 plus 1k shipping, that had a super straight body, no top, and a blown motor. The body shop swapped bodies, and fixed what was left for about 3k and the rest was spent on new stuff like the flares. They painted it yellow, from the engine compartment to the interior. Its now yellow, has only a soft top, and the KC lights werent replaced. It looks even better than after we got done with it, as we only painted the exterior. He had the radiator re-cored, put on a holley electric fuel pump, and replaced the carb with a holley 650 double pumper. It runs great now. The only problem with it is a header leak and the littlle valve that controls the heat temp is stuck on hot. Two simple fixes. The seats are still the old worn ones and the steering is still loose. He does have the extra chassis though. The steering box is 10 times tighter, and it has a good 3 spd trans, transfer, frame and differentials.

He was asking 12k for it, but hasnt had any luck up here in Maine. He offered it to me for 10k with the extra chassis.

Does that sound reasonable? I know I've never seen another EB like this in Maine/New Hampshire before.

If I buy it, I'd either swap the seats out for something more comfortable, or at least move the front seats back, as Im 6'4. I might need to bend the shifter over to the right a couple inches, also. Otherwise, I'd swap the steering box out, fix the heater control, and put it on the road.

what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2000, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: buying a bronco

Waaaaaaaay to much !!!!!With that kind of money I could find you one down here in the south and really trick it out and give you some change also!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode