Rock Crawling Machine Needs Fuel Injection - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2000, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rock Crawling Machine Needs Fuel Injection

I went 4-wheeling last weekend in one of the most extreme boulder fields I have ever seen (which may not be saying much). Along the way I was passing jeeps, Chevys, and Toys. They all had 35" tires or larger. They each had a unique problem. With my little 33" tires, freshly swapped 3.50 gears and open differentials, I was able to crawl past the bunch and make it up the trail with only a few scratches on the bottom-side of my front differential. It impressed everyone how easily the old Bronco moved (also thanks to a good spotter) The only complaint I have is the carb would start to bog out when the incline got too great, but only stalled it once. One other vehicle had a severe problem with stalling, and another had a blown-out Holly (carb backfire caused it to self-destruct). With this in mind, I have made plans to buy a fuel injection kit. I have heard very little about after-market kits. What kit would be the least expensive and still give me the advantage of not having a float bowl? The concern is also the dual tanks. I think I need a 5-way switch to cycle the fuel to the engine, and back to the proper tank. I don't have a fortune to dump into this, which limits me to throttle-body injection rather than a multi-port setup. If anyone can lend some advice or has any feed-back, it would be much appreciated.

Curt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 04:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rock Crawling Machine Needs Fuel Injection

You might want to check the 'short wheelbase' board, the have a thread about holley projection.

Get Dirty!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2000, 05:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rock Crawling Machine Needs Fuel Injection

Unfortunantly the Holly kit is very problimatic. I have heard from other sources that Howell is a good kit. It is the Chevy TBI. It costs about $1100, but is well worth the money spent. I have found a 91 donor vehicle with everything intact. I pulled all the sensors, TBI, ECM, wiring harness, etc. for $375. I will get it on 6/6/00. I will keep you posted on how it works.
Curtis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode