T18 to Dana 20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2000, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

T18 to Dana 20

I've got a 2 wheel drive T18 from an early seventies pickup. Will this bolt up to a Dana 20? Does ford have an adapter that goes in between the two - I was thinking that some applications did use a spacer of some kind?

87 wrangler - 258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 08:25 PM

Re: T18 to Dana 20

Since Ford never put a 4 speed in the EB, your best bet to connect a Dana 20 transfer case to a T98/T98A or T18/T18A would be to contact Advanced Adapters. As I remember, they sell all the stuff you need including a new transmission input shaft. You can find them via just about any search engine. I've done two in the past (1 T98A & 1 T18A). Both worked as advertised.

All EB transfer cases bolted to the transmission.

Rockcrusher
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 05:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know it can be done, but wether or not Ford has an adapter I don't no. Have you checked Mark's Adapters, they may have one. It's alot easier to mate it to a 435, but that's not what your asking is it? Hahahaha
Try http://www.ozemail.com.au/~marks4wd/

Chris J.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]My Drinking Team Has A Rockcrawling Problem[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Just wondering - does the 3 speed have the same bellhousing boltpattern as the t-18?

87 wrangler - 258
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2000, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are 3 styles of T-18's for Fords, that may or may not be interchangeable due to bolt patterns, input-shaft lengths, and rear face designs. The T-18 and early-model (1953-66) T-98 are basically the same except in the way the main shaft is supported. This is a fairly compact transmission with a cast-iron case. Its extremely strong design makes it very popular, and it's easily adapted to a variety of applications. The left side of the case is stamped T-18 or T-98. A PTO access plate can be found on the left-hand side.

The easiest thing to do would be mate it with a np435, but if your set on going with the T-18, then try to find one out of a 2wd pick-up and it will match up with the 302 3 speed housing and clutch linkage.

Chris J.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]My Drinking Team Has A Rockcrawling Problem[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2000, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Just wondering why a NP435 would be easier to mate to a Dana 20?

87 wrangler - 258
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2000, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There's allot fewer modifications compared to other conversions which require more modifications and also modifying the drive shafts. The NP 435 ha a heavy duty cast iron case and aluminum cover and the gears are synchronized 2nd through 4th with a sliding gear for 1st and reverse. They also run a solid cluster on needle bearings and a tapered main drive gear bearing on most applications.

Chris J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode