Bronco won't start-no fire - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Bronco won\'t start-no fire

My '73 Bronco with a 302 c-4 tranny won't start. It started running rough and then after I parked it, it wouldn't start. There is no spark from the coil to the distributor. I replaced the coil twice with no luck, both wires going to the coil are powered when the ignition is turned, is this normal? I replace the ignition switch, points and condensor, the distibutor was cleaned and checked out ok. All the wiring from the ignition switch to the coil was checked and was ok, there were no burned fuses or anything else. Help I'm about ready to burn the damn thing if I can't fix it. Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 09:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Bronco won\'t start-no fire

Disconect the coil wire from the distributor cap.......remove cap......turn key on.....manipulate points with an appropriate tool..(make sure the points are closed to start off with).......got spark? ............if yes.......crank motor with coil wire still hanging near ground......see spark.....or hear spark.....NO......check your timing chain or the base of the distributor.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2000, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you tryed a different coil on it?Both wires SHOULD NOT be hot ,one is a ground and one is a hot.It sounds like you coil went tits up on the inside.Before you burn it call me i'll come get it and give you a shiny new quarter!HaHaHa.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

I tried two different new coils and both didn't help. I'll have to recheck the coil wiring, I didn't think both wires should be hot but wasn't sure. Can I run a direct ground from the coil to a ground to check it again?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2000, 12:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Wait a minute let me think here.......heck it's been sooooo long since I've had a point type dist/coil set up. You should be able to disconnect the wire that goes to the distributor and attach a dummy wire and touch it to ground and you should get spark out of the coil wire.....well actually you'll get a spark when you break the ground (grounded = magnetic build up to ungrounded = magnetic collapse)
With the key on...I could see both posts being hot.....just a different voltage drop.......... it is an inductor and after five time constants it should be a regular piece of wire...........ahgh......anyway if you can get a spark with the dummy wire to ground (on off)......you've got wiring problems in the distributor to the points (which is where the wire you're going to diconnect goes). DID YOU CHECK THE CONDENSER?

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2000, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

It finally started!!!!! Ihad replaced the points and condensor with what were supposed to be new parts from my own parts bin. I broke down and went out and bought new ones from a parts store and it fired right up, thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode