eb were are the weak points - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

eb were are the weak points

I have a chance to get a early bronco for cheap money that needs work! it has a 302 that is supposbly doggish! My friend who is a big ford nut suggested that i buy it for the axles. I thought afterwards why the axles and why not buy it for a trail rig? it has drum brakes in the front? what did the front axles have with drum brakes? dana 30s or 44s, my friend bought a front axle from a eb and it had drums and a d44 in it, it was a cheap upgrade to disc as my friends have been so fortune enough to pick up 70s f150s for 50 and 75 bucks! if it is a dana 30 can it be upgraded to a disc? How about power steering, i am not sure if it has it but is this a big issue to have it put in? what is involved?
out of the box the early broncos seem to be quite the rig!
thanks in advance
Andy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 04:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: eb were are the weak points

The main weak points I know of are: The Dana 30's, and some older 44 carriers, the steering really has only 2! The inverted "Y" set-up, although good for travel and the front pan-hard bar bushings. The bushings only last about 5 months or so when used off-road allot. Aside from that, buy it and you'll never go back....

Chris J.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]It's not the Biggest, but at least I use it![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 11:00 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Drum brakes could be 30 OR 44. The drums didn't go away until '76, but 44's came in much earlier. 28-spline axles on the 9" are considered somewhat weak, but all in all, you'd be hard-pressed to find a down-size vehicle with tougher stuff than an E.B. (assuming 44 front anyway).</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2000, 05:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Compared to any other 4x4, out of the factory, there are no weak points. My brother and myself both own old broncos, and until lately have been completely stock with the exception of 4" lift and 33" tires. My brother's bronco had the D-30 front which NEVER had problems. The Dana 44 is superior to the 30, but only if you do lots of huge rock crawls with huge tires.
If huge tires are what you are looking for, then definantly a D-44 and 31 spline axles. The stock steering box (power and manual) have a very long sector shaft that is known to fail with very large tires. There are several different mods that will work to place a different box with a shorter sector shaft.
The stock tranny in some cases is garbage (RAN vs RAT) not sure which stamp is which, but one of the two is terrible. You will need discs for sure. All other parts should hold up to the abuse.
Curtis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode