New Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2000, 06:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New Bronco

I am thinking about purchasing a 66-77 Ford Bronco and need some advice. What year is best? Is a Superlift 5.5" lift a good choice? I also plan to add 2 ARBs, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50R15/C BFG Mud-Terrains, 15x10 4wpw Rock Crawler Beadlocks, and James Duff Saginaw Power Steering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2000, 03:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New Bronco

Personal opinions vary, but mechanically, getting a later year, '73 on, would probably be better. I believe! that 76/77 had front disk brakes, I am not sure when power brakes came standard, elecronic ignition, Dana 44 front end, and I think from 73/74 on, they came with 31spline 9' rear diffs, rather than the somewhat lighter, earlier 28 spline. A good place to research this is at performanceunlimited.com. As well, the popular engine would be a 351W, which never came stock in the EB's, fuel injected as a bonus! Good luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 06:28 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Actually, the popular engine would be a 302 - 351's were swapped in, though. '76 & '77 did have discs & would be the best of the bunch as a result. And yeah, somewhere around '73 or so they went to the 44 front (had 30 fronts in older ones).</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think I read on a web page that 71 was the first year of the D44 front. Im not sure about the 31 spline 9" rear though.

Larsonator

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2000, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anything from 74 - 76 would be my suggestion and scrap the ARB garbage, GO Detroits or Go Home. The ARB's are allot of money to spend, just to sit on the trail trying to fingure out why their not working half the time!

Chris J.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]My Drinking Team Has A Rockcrawling Problem[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode