tire sizes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2000, 02:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

tire sizes

Well I have a little in common with you guys. I'm running early Bronco axles under my Toy. Just wondering what on-average tire size your running with what axle mods, if any. I'm running 39" tires with 5.38 and 5.43 gears, and a lock-right in the rear. Front disks courtesy of a '79 1/2 ton.
PJL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2000, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: tire sizes

on my 71 bronco: Axles are completely original. Dana 44 front, Ford 9" Rear. Original Limited Slip and 4.11's. Currently running 33's, but ran 35's for 3 years on highway and pounded rocks in the mountains. I have photo's of the whole front and rear 3' off the ground to prove the abuse. Never had a problem! I would be a little uneasy about runnig 39" tires with the original 28 spline axles though. I think I would even put in axle trusses. As far as the lockers go, I am not a firm believer in them. If you need lockers, the rocks are too big for a daily driver. That is just my opinion.
You obviously know where to find the best parts, FORD!
Hope the info helps
Curtis

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can't help too much, but I used to have a "79 bronco with a Dana 44 and Ford 9" conventional 3.50:1 diffs. 5-bolt with 38.5" Swampers and did some rough mud pit jumping around. A decent amount of abuse, no problems. However, the axle trusses and change in axle splines, is definitely a smart thing to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 03:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good to see some action here.
The 31 spline axles are definitly in the future. Right now I'm working fabbing on a rear coil sprung susp, to compliment the front coils already fabbed in. Next in order are fabricating a set of fenderwell headers. Maybe one of you guys/girls know where I can get some info on building headers? Just so you all know I'm running a 5.0 HO out of an '87 mustang(speed-density efi), C-6, and NP205 turned down to match the narrow diff. With the 31 spline axles, I'm looking at a rear disk conversion. At a buck and a half to your dollar I'm going to get a set of axles narrowed(recut) locally, it pains me to have to spend 600 Canadian on Currie or Moser axles(although that would be nice).
Thanks for your input PJL
P.S. This truck is only a weekend hauler(nice to have something to get to work on come Monday morning when things go bad)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My brother just dropped a rear disk Ford 9" into his Bronco. I am currently researching the bracket, caliper, and rotor. All the parts except the mounting bracket are out of the junkyard. It is a very low-buck upgrade. I am going to have him blueprint the bracket and cut me a pair for my Bronco. Someone told me that the caliper and rotor are from a Monte Carlo. They fit perfectly without any modification. I will keep everyone posted on my findings.
For rear coil springs, I have seen the front radius arms and spring brackets used on a 9" rear. It is a great idea if you have a spare front end lying around like I do. The Dana 30's are a dime a dozzen because people with the pre '71 Dana 30 swap in the more durable Dana 44.

Hope this helps,
Curtis

P.S. My old bronco is my weekend warrior as well. I have a 93 Bronco to get me to work. I am thinking about trading, and driving the old one to work so I can do a few more mods to my 93.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 12:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

PJL, I feel your currency pain. I grew up in BC and I am now married and living in Utah. For three years, while my wife and I were dating, I was on the wrong end of the exchange. It is a great thing now to have real money to pay off all my Canadian debts! LOL! 8)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2000, 02:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey techie - you're in utah? where? i'm in slc. you oughta email me offline and we'll chat.

[email protected]

-kincade

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode