upcoming upgrades - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 12:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

upcoming upgrades

I am going to get a body lift and power brake kit(for drum brakes all 4 wheels) in the next month or so. I am really debating between a 2" or 3" body lift. I presently have a small susp. lift (~2", I haven't measured it yet because I just bought it a week ago) with 33" tires, but I am planning on going up to 36" tires in about a year. I think I will have a little excess height for now, but what I am wondering about is if a 3" lift would be to obvious, or 'goddy'? This is kind of a stupid question, but does the body-frame clearance still look good, OK or crappy with a 3" body lift on a '75 chassis? Give me your opinions. Also, wildhorses has their lifts for $110 (prices for 3" lift) but I found the same size lift at JCWhitney for $80, is their a difference other than price?

The Power Brakes upgrade from Wildhorses is around $350 for 4wheel drum brakes, any thoughts, price, quality, does it work and fit well?

Check out another forum that just started @ http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/for...rum=&number=86

Thanks In Advance,

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: upcoming upgrades

The 2" body lift looks a lot cleaner, but if you plan on going with 36" tires get the 3" and start triming those fenders!!!
Wild Horses / JC Whitney??? Should I say more?
Put it this way, My freind builds the dual t-cases for Wild Horses, but they also have another version called the cold-duck or something. The duck is cheaper yes, but also weaker and not a complete kit, as for the other one it is complete, allot stronger, but more expensive?????
You do the math???
Go with the Wild Horses kit, it will save you lots in the long-run!

Good luck!

One question though, why 4-wheel Drums???

Chris J.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]It's not the Biggest, but at least I use it![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 01:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4 wheel drums is simply financial at this point. I just got it, so priority is on at least getting Power Brakes in it for now. I do plan on doing a Front Disc Brake Conversion, and I know I will have to redo the master cylinder for that, I just can't get all that cash together right now. The PB kit is $340, and the Disc Brake kit is $885; soon, I hope.
My fenders are already cut a little, they have the typical fender flares on it. Thanx for the advice on the lift kit, I am not familiar with either Wild Horses or JC Whitney, so I appreciate the tip and shall do. Thanx.

Also, check out another forum @ http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/for...rum=&number=86, hope to see you there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2000, 03:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

bc bronco's (www.bcbroncos.com) makes a great bracket/kit for power brakes that doesn't require that you dent in your fender for the MC, and it allows the MC to sit level. it also uses more common parts. this would be the route i'd go if i had to do it again, IMHO.

-kincade

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2000, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Almost every parts supplier for bronco's has a Power Brake Kit. I had pretty much decided on the one from Wildhorses, but I have seen a few comments lately with exactly what you are saying. I am a little surprised that there is a difference, so the BC Bronco's PBC kit is the best to get, any thoughts on the Wildhorses Kit? At this point, I will plan on the BC Kit. Thanks for the info!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2000, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, the WH and every other kit (other than BC's) uses the bronco MC/booster and does not sit level. because of that, you have to dent your inner fender. the BC's bolts right in without any fender mods, and uses a mustang booster/MC that's easier to find.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 12:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx, that settles it. I really appreciate that info!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 09:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you still have the front drum brakes, I suggest converting it to disc before the power brakes.

I followed the instructions on Bronco.com for the Chevy conversion. It is very easy, and low budget. It took about 3 hours to complete. It performs like having power brakes, which I no longer need. The parts are easier to find than the instructions say. The Ford hubs/rotors are the same from a 76 to 96. The Chevy spindles will work for up to (I think up to 1986). The only complication I had was that I didn't ask for the SMALL bearing Chevy spindle (which is not explained in the instructions).
I did the whole thing for about $400. I bought all the used parts at a very expensive and very small salvage yard in one of the more expensive towns in Colorado. All the new parts I got at NAPA. You may be able to get the parts for much less.
Hope this helps,
Curtis

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Curtis! I have actually heard that tip from a few sources, and I am planning on doing the Disk Brake swap first. I really appreciate your tips
on the bearing size, so to get it straight, the Ford hub/rotors should work on the Chevy spindles, and the caliper mounts, calipers and flex hoses get for the appropriate Chevy? Also, how can I tell if they are the small bearing Chev spindles? TIA! Dave.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, the spindle, caliper backing plate (mount) and calipers are from Chevy. I bought the hoses new from NAPA. I think they were from an 85 Chevy. They are threaded on the inside and outside of one of the ends (you will see what I mean if you have them). The inside threads are what you need. It is a perfect fit. Also, they are more than long enough to work. They were the cheap hoses, not the expensive ones. They were $20 each.
The best way to determine the large or small bearing setup is the inner bearing is larger on the spindle. Your original bearings are the same size as the small bearing setup. Your original spindle and the new spindle will look almost identical. The Chevy spindle is (I think, but can't remember) shorter. You must get the brake master cylinder. It is from a 77 bronco. It was about $50, also from NAPA. The fluid ports are on the opposite side of the brake master cylinder, so depending on your brake lines, you may need to replace them. Mine were long enough that I just bent them by hand and ran them to the opposite side of the master cylinder. You will also need a new brass nut to convert the size to the smaller port if you use your old lines. They also have these at NAPA.
I just installed the brakes last week and am very happy with the stopping power. I have 33" tires and can lock them up very easily.

I will be happy to answer any more questions that you may have, but will be out of town for the week of March 19th to March 25th. Hope the info I provided helps you and minimizes your trips back to the parts store. Good luck and happy hunting.
Curtis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode