302 vs. 460 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 08:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

302 vs. 460

I'm fixin' to put in a new motor in my truck, but i'm tied up between which is better. So my question is, 302 or 460, which is better and why?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 302 vs. 460

Well all I could say is that the 460 has more poop and is allot more difficult to drop in the old engine bay? I'd say that the 302 has alot more optional upgrades and parts are alot easier to come by.
Personally I go with a 351, but that's just my 2 cents...

Chris J.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]It's not the Biggest, but at least I use it![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 12:32 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Someone had to say it. Ditto here, I'd drop the 302 idea (unless you already have one) & go for a bigger small-block.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 12:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

351W with a 400M crank. Big block power with the ease of putting in a small block and a ton of aftermarket parts too. If $$ is an issue (when isn't it) just a plain old 351W.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 10:52 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Now you're talkin'!</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 12:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've worked on early bronco's with various engine sizes, 289, 302, all pepped up at least some. I just bought one with a somewhat pepped up 351W, it is a racehorse! Way above the 302. I'm still working on the gas mileage, but I am getting there, and no joke, it halls a##! I don't know from personal experience, but a raced out 302 or especially 351W should easily provide all the power you could ever want, and I think that a 460 would be bastardly cramped in there. My money's on the 351W, good luck!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 05:53 AM

Like every one is saying you might find some advantages in going with the smaller. but
it's always cool to tell people you got a 460 stuffed in the truck

<font color=blue>Ride it like you stole it!</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 10:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thankx fellas.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2000, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you got the room for 460 go for it, there may be more add on for the 302, but thats just it, there add-ons. It's already there in a 460.And you still can add on...(: Just a thought from the "Devil's Advocate".....(:

Grizzly
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2000, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ah, bigblock's suck in early Broncos. I'm running a large cube smallblock in my old bronco and dragrace it at least once a year. Go here if you want to see what a smallblock in an early bronco can do against another early bronco running a 429 CobraJet with a tunnel ram intake and a Dominator style carb. ftp://ftp.one.net/pub/users/marc/bronco/dragrace.mpg

If you want info on building a large hp/torque motor, ask. They're easy to do with Fords, unlike chevy smallblocks, and you can still put multiport fuel injection on them and have them behave nicely.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13-209-bandimere99_02a.jpg (24.6 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode