What kind of gas mileage are you getting? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford Early Bronco, 66-77 All discussion of Early Ford Bronco's to 1977

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

I used to have a '79 Bronco with a 351M and typically got 9-10 miles to a gallon, and that was with 38.5" Swampers. Last week I picked up a pretty decent '75 Bronco with a 351W, two barrel carb and 33's, and so far, I am only getting around 6 miles to a gallon. I was hoping to maybe get, at absolute tops, 12 miles a gallon. It runs really decent, great power, but I am going to Overhaul the carb, but I would appreciate some reference mileages so I can try to aim for something. By the way, I don't yet know the gear ratio on my '75, but my '79 was 3.50:1.
Does anyone know of a more active forum site? If so, could you let me know? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 06:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

I have a 71 with a 302 with 10:1 compression, 4bbl Carter AFB and Edelbrock Performer, electronic ignition, 33" Pro Comp Mud tires, 4.11:1 ratio. I get anywhere between 8 miles per gallon to 16 on the highway. It all depends on the shape of the components and driving style. The carb (if it is running poorly) will cause terrible gas milage. It could also be a lead foot. As for the gears, can't help you there.
Curtis

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2000, 02:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a '66 with 351w, edelbrock 4bbl, and mild performance parts. I run 4.10's with 35's and I get 12mpg on the highway. The truck is well tuned so I don't see getting any better mileage, I run about 60-65 on the highway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2000, 03:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just an update, after some carb adjustments, rejetting, timing adjust, I am up to 9-10 miles before taking the odometer/speedometer error with the tires into account. Thanks for your responses.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2000, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

With my Broncoized Toy, I haven't quite figured it out. I think mine is measured in gallons per mile though. Damn, I think I'll have to put a block of wood under the gas pedal, or a pair of visegrips on the throttle cable. Daily I drive a 3.0 v6, so when I get behind my 5.0 I just can't help it. I don't know for sure but, I think this problem will go away when I hook up the nitrous. I swear I can see the gas gauge drop everytime I have to show those little sportscars on the street what v-8 power is all about. But that's just in good fun.
PJL

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know the feeling! I stated earlier that I get anywhere between 8 to 16 Miles-Per-Gallon, when in fact, I have gotten as low as 2 MPG. This is not a mis-print. YES, TWO Miles Per Gallon. Never Thought I would see a new set of 35" X 12.5" set of mud terrain tires last 10,000 miles. They had the belt showing when I replaced them. I finally put a mild cam, bigger chambered heads, and 33" MT tires, to get the milage I am getting now. I could pass everything except EVERY corner gas station. These days Super Unleaded is expensive, so the old bronco resides in the garage and the new bronco will soon be up for sale (even though the old bronco gets an average of 12 MPG).
Curtis

P.S. : death to all low-riding, speed bump sized, bubble cars.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I get around 10 on the road and usually 16 on the freeway. I'm running a new carbuerated 302 (10k miles on it) with 33x12.5's. Sometimes I run 35x12.5 MT's at which time you can subtract about 2 mpg from each of those. I also have a lot of fiberglass on the body so I'm a little lighter than most.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode