Bottomed out - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Bottomed out

Havack & I went to the river bottoms a few weeks ago and had a pretty good time. He'll be adding some more photos and live footage of it to his site, but here are a few of the pics:

[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14-629436-Bottoms1.JPG (84.0 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 10:22 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Bottomed out

did you have those tires custom made or do they actually market a tire that small? ;-) LOL

i've been having a little fun myself since i've been back home... the "uppity folks" are expanding their already huge golf courses and neighborhood out towards our neck of the woods and there is tons of mud at the construction areas. this butts up against the local tower mtn which has some cool climbing trails up it, so it's like one big offroad park right now. 35s still impress me but something is very loose in the front end, i can hear it moving around, but i havent narrowed it down yet. i wanted to fix my rear brakes with new drums and shoes but i might as well save my money if i'm going to be in the mud... that tears up drums SO fast.

have fun, and get some more tirage for gription and roosters

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

ROTFLMAO

No, I think I'll stick with the little ones, though I AM considering 32's like havack has. I like being able to slip under trees, parking garages, traffic signals, etc. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Besides; what gears would I have to have for a 4.9L to throw roosters off 44's???[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 01:14 AM
Mud in my Veins

Oh man, you should have SEEN the mud I got into tonight. I had never seen anything REMOTELY like it. I saw this huge development construction area near some lowlands in north little rock, so i took a ride on through the place. The main road is about 1/2 mile long and just covered in 10" deep super mega sticky mud that doesnt come out of tires until 60 mph. After playing around for about 30 minutes, I hauled off down this side road that looked like it went down in elevation a little. It got nasty so I backed up about 10 feet, then started sinking so I punched it (in 2wd at this point). Man after a couple seconds of not moving all i could see was hood. I got out to inspect only to find my left rear tire was MISSING. This super mega sticky gumbo MUD had completely eaten my tire and it could no longer be seen. In fact, it had dug down so deep that my truck was fully articulated in the rear to where the right tire was almost touching the wheel well, which is INSANE. I opened my hood at one point and the body was so flexed I couldn't close it. My front left tire was up to about the hub in this junk too, but the right front was flexed up so far that it really didn't have much weight on it, though it was getting enough traction to bounce the truck. I jacked up that tire and put a huge rock under it but it just spit it out, so after 3 hours of playing with it I called for help. Three trucks showed up and two managed to get stuck near me, but the other was able to pull all 3 of us out eventually. You'll be glad to know it was a <font color=blue>FORD</font color=blue> but it had the smallest tires of the group, some 33" BFG all terrains. I've always sworn those were good tires and they didnt let us down tonight. So about 9 pm at 33 degrees outside we managed to leave that place after playing around some more. I spent 20 minutes digging that mud out of my wheel and most of it is still there. I have never seen much like this... it was tacky as a sumbitch and I dont know if even a pressure washer could get it out of the wheel. I'm hoping after it dries up it I can just knock it out of the wheel. We were discussing how one would build a truck to conquer this madness and the only thing i could think of was a really light vehicle on REALLY wide tires. It had no bottom and provided very little to push the truck forward. There was absolutely NO water involved here, it was straight gumbo mud. I have a feeling we'll go back, hopefully with some bigger trucks, to see if we can conquer it, but I doubt it. I have one picture that is probably crappy of the FORD pulling out the Yota (on 35's) and you can kinda see how nasty it is, if it shows up. I have another pic of my truck afterwards back home in the driveway, and if it shows up you can see how that stuck packed my wheel solid. It was a fun and messy Christmas eve!! Happy holidays and enjoy the mud ;-)

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 01:27 AM
Mud in my Veins

wow, just realized how long that last post was, but it was one helluva trip. i'll go back down there and try to get a shot of the ruts i left, they are insane. i just wanted to note that either of 3 things would've saved me tonight: wider tires (probably wouldnt' help much), a winch, and a hi-lift. yes i own the latter but of course it was at home in the garage, doh! i've never really considered a winch but it's kinda hard to dig up friends/relatives that can help you out in a timely fashion on xmas eve. If I get one it'll be one of the receiver mounted ones though because sometimes forward isn't an option. Where can I get one of those cheap?

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

A. I'm a construction foreman, and we recently had to call the cops on a kid who got his 4WD stuck in one of our sites. If he hadn't turned out to be borrowing his dad's truck and just lost (got stuck purely accidentally), he & his dad would've been paying a LARGE trespassing & criminal mischief fine AND about $5K to redo the site work. The moral: be careful about going back there or EVER identifying yourself as one of the people who was there that time.

B. You can get a receiver adapter for almost any winch, even as high as a 9000 lb one. The real expense will be the front hitch receiver, but if you design your own, it shouldn't be more than $150 to have it fabricated.

C. "Where can I get one of those cheap?" My girlfriend's father just GAVE me a Warn XD9000i with 2 winch accessory kits, 2 wiring harnesses with quick connectors, a receiver mount, and a front receiver for a Discovery II. I gave all but the winch and one accessory kit to another guy, bought a remote at 4WPW for $48, and now have the winch on my bumper (which I built about 5 years ago![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]). How's THAT for cheap???[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 01:03 PM
Mud in my Veins

cool, you lucky SOB! yeah, i wont go on most construction sites for the reason you mentioned, but this wasn't a "construction site", just some woody real estate that some guy had come through and dozed a trail through. the equipment was long gone and there were no recent tracks anywhere. we were safe back there, and i wouldnt mind going back some time. luckily my little brother was with me to do all the b!tch work for me while i pushed the pedals ;-) but we were both very muddy afterwards, and there is definitely a MUDDYBRONCO in my driveway. merry christmas, gotta go.

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I 2nd what Steve said eventhough I do it all the time. You got to be careful. For instance I had to pull my brother out today and we weren't there for more than 5 minutes and the Sherrif was on our backs. Luckily the Sherrif was cool and let us off (I think he was a football fan and my bro was wearing his football sweatshirt... whewww).

I wish I could have got pics of the stuck. My bro is retarded and was backing up with his head out the window and he flung some mud in his face and slipped out of the ruts leaving his truck stuck, hanging half way down a cliff. We had to get 2 winches on it. One on the front to keep it from rolling down the hill and another from behind to pull it out. Anyways, it was a smooth operation and it would have made some excellent pics with the sherrif in the background watching us.

90 BRONCO Custom

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Muddy, I'll email you some photos this week of a reciever hitch I am making for the front end...keeping the stock chrome bumper and using the Ford bumper frame mounts (and heavier ones on the other side of the frame) and 5/8 inch plate for drop downs that will hold a 57 inch long 3.5 inch square tube (bought as scrap metal for 18 bucks), which will have a receiver cut out in the center and weld-ons for shackles on each side. I'm actually heading over to your neck of the woods for Gr 8 bolts in the morning....something called LR Bolts near University...check back early next week once I can upload....this relic pc at my Dad's would take hours.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 12:14 AM
Mud in my Veins

never heard of that place, but your project definitely sounds nice! pics would be awesome. i was considering putting a 1-2" body lift on my truck JUST so i could lift my front bumper to expose the bottom of the frame for tow hooks, but a receiver setup would be much more sane and nice because i could put a multimount winch or just a clevis insert in it for recovery. i need a tow point on the front badly (though wrapping my strap around the frame works quite well) but i'm very attached to this front bumper so i wont scrap it or even cut it. get back with pics, i'd love to see them.

btw, where are you located?

www.ArkansasMud.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode