New Carrier? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

New Carrier?

I currently have 3.55 in my axles, would I need a new carrier if I went to 4.56 or 4.88?

My BRONCO
90 BRONCO Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 07:06 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: New Carrier?

I think http://www.drivetrain.com/'s site has the specs on what carriers work with what ratios - just start looking it up as if you were buying a new R&P or axle.

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 01:38 PM

On your front Dana 44 yes...cutoff for your current carrier is 3.73. On the rear 8.8, I believe yes as well with 4.56 or numerically higher.

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 03:32 PM
Shilo

The front carrier's good thru 3.90. There is no carrier break on the 8.8.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm... seems to be conflicting info on the 8.8. Looks like I'll need to do some research. Thanks for the info fellas.

90 BRONCO Custom

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 02:30 AM
Mud in my Veins

according to my 4WPW catalog there is no case break for the 8.8" and it's pretty comprehensive but anybody can be wrong. Do you know of a 4.88 gear set for the 8.8, because this catalog doesn't show one. It does show a 5.13 though, but 4.56 would probably be fine. I think that's what I'm going to aim for when the money comes through, unless I'm wanting 38's by then. Lately these 35's have been looking kinda small under the bronco for some reason, and I can really see some 38x15's under there, or maybe just some 35x15's. I'll probably grab some used ones from somebody back home (everybody's going bigger this summer... should have some cool pics) to get the full "swamper effect" before I drop major coinage on some big ol shoes for the stallion. rambling now.... way off subject, TIRES!

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

I know what your talkin about, my 35's get smaller and smaller every day. I'm thinking 4.88 more and more every day, cuz I know I will have 38's on here someday. It's just a matter of time. I thought Ford Racing sold 4.88, but I can't find them on their website and my catalog is nowhere to be seen. I'm sure someone makes a 4.88, at least you would think so. After thinking about this, I'm going to eventually get rid of my WHOLE drivetrain (except transfer case). So I don't know if there is any point in getting new gears. I might just save my money and wait for something to break and then totally replace the entire unit. Problem is I beat the hell out of my BRONC and nothing breaks except little parts. I guess that's a good thing.

90 BRONCO Custom

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 11:12 AM

Check out Reider Racings site, they list a 4.88 for the 8.8 rear. Don't know about the carrier change though.

http://www.reiderracing.com/r&p_&_ap_chart.htm

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 10:43 PM
Mud in my Veins

Damn you sound just like me! I dont wanna put gears in this axle because i might get a 1 ton rear axle, and I dont want to settle on 4.56 if I'm going to end up with 38's or 40s on here, though I think the 351 would push 40s fine with 4.56, since it really has no problem pushing 35's with 3.55's.

If it's possible to swap spindles/hubs to 8 lug on a 79 bronco front end, I might just go ahead and do the front swap and wait until i get a 1 ton to do the gear swap. I could then add 5.13's, 8 lug wheels, and 39.5" TSL's :-) That's the way to do it! The problem is that I have this damn sensor in the rear so I'd have to figure out a way to move it so I could put in a Dana 60 instead of the 10.25, since it's limited to 4.56 gears. This is all dreaming though, I doubt I'll build this truck much bigger, but I was thinking maybe a supercharger would be fun! 400 HP, 1/2 ton axles, and 38's would be a killer mud setup assuming nothing broke.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

I was told Reider Racing gears aren't good for a truck that will see the street. Heard they're competion style ring and pinion. If anything, this post has convinced me to stick with the 3.55 until something busts and then I'll swap in a 10.25 or a Dana 60 with 4.88s (ARB would be nice too).

Great minds think alike Muddy! PowerStroke to some auto (possibly C-6???) to transfer (not too picky about that part). Dana 60s with 4.88 connected to some 39.5 TSLs or Boggers. Oh, can't forget the ARBs, locked at the push of the button (whut a concept)! My BRONCO will be something like that in the future when I have the funds. Oh and the camo paint job... haha.

Yeah anyways, about the speed sensor. What exactly does it affect? I thought it just affected the antilock brakes, but maybe thats just cuz I have a 90, or maybe it does affect my speedo too.

90 BRONCO Custom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode