Rear Locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Rear Locker

I have a front ARB. I have the factory limited slip (new clutch pack about 20k ago) in the rear. Factory LS is more slip than limit, so I am thinking (bad thing to do, so says the wife) I would like to upgrade. I want a locker, but I hear that heavy towing is not a good idea with a rear locker. Also, I am interested in hearing opinion of a rear locker in snow or ice.

I could go ARB, but the COST! One was plenty. I could go Auburn Pro series LS, but would I be disappointed with the differentiation? And, how long would it last? Just not sure if I could live with a Detroit all the time.

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rear Locker

I have a locker in mine and love it but you must drive with a very light foot on snow or ice . Bill

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 07:23 PM

towing is okay with it on dry pavement,but it does increase the stress on U joints/axkes when turning with excessive tongue weight.
towing in snow is a no no. on some of the slanted roads when they get snowy, and you start off the trucks back enbd will go towards the downhill part, along with the front of the trailer. without the trailer you could usually get moving foreward enough before hitting curb/other obsticles.
dont bother with a cheap locker. i blew up both kinds of powertrax, and im currently running a detroit. but if you go detroit, why not spend the extra 150 and do a ARB assuming you already have a compresser.

now i got a 92 351, detroit, with dana 44 solid w/ARB 36x14.50 TSL radials. waiting on 8 inch lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 06:12 AM
Mud in my Veins

A Detroit will treat snow/ice like mud, but your tires won't! The locker will immediately cause one tire to slip, in even the slightest turn, reducing your total traction by about 25%. If you gas it, you'll lose BOTH rear tires so you're down to only the fronts holding you to the road & the back end will slide out. In mud, this isn't a problem since you're DOWN in the mud & it pushes against the sides of the tires keeping you in line. Anything other than DEEP snow & you'll be in DEEP snit.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The clutch service pack from Ford for an 8.8" LS is only $50-80 compared to $300 for an aftermarket LS. Are you sure you added the friction modifier last time?

[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Yes I did. The fluid was changed when the new gears/and clutch pack went in. I changed it again recently and again did the Friction Modifier. The issue I have is with how little this limited slip really works, even in excellent condition. Is there anyone that feels the factory limited slip is very effective? As a compromise from the manufacturer for most people who do not use there vehicle much or any off road, it is acceptable. I want something more positive, but as you state, a detroit is probably not where I want to go. I guess ideally it is the ARB that I am after. I'll have to sell the wife on how much I "need" it, and then cough up the bucks!

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a detroit true-trac in the front, that might be a good possibility for the rear. I have been pleased with its performance. I believe it is a posi that uses gears so it might be a little more reliable than the clutches. I hope this can help.

Scott

86 Bronco 4.11's, rear lockrite, front true-trac, custom front prerunner bumper with a 8000lb WARN

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a detroit true-trac in the front, that might be a good possibility for the rear. I have been pleased with its performance. I believe it is a posi that uses gears so it might be a little more reliable than the clutches. I hope this can help.

Scott

86 Bronco 4.11's, rear lockrite, front true-trac, custom front prerunner bumper with a 8000lb WARN

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 10:52 PM

I just recently changed the fluid in my genuine Ford LS. Being a '93 I thought that it would have turned into a MS (max Slip) but it hasn't. The LS seems to be the only thing that still is original and works....new motor, soon to be third tranny......

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, all i can say about the factory LS is that, compared to an open rear, its a million times better. I had an open rear, and switched to a 94 bronco rear with an LS (the one u might remember me destroying) and the difference was insane. i rarly used 4x4 anymore, simply cause i didnt need it. now, going back to open, its crap. all i wanted was the front locker like u currently have. i guess once u have the front locker, u start to realize how much the lS is slippinjg, but dont forget about the difference it actually does make, before spending all the money, if its out of budget for you.

Dominic

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 12:37 PM

I have Torsen Differential in the rear of my Bronc. It works just a TrueTrac (which I have in the Front). These differentials are both Torque-Biasing, rather than speed-biasing (limited slip). Limited Slips (like the Factory One) transmit Torque from the slipping wheel to the other due to the speed difference between the 2. They always use a friction material, which can wear out. Torque Biasing diffs use friction in a gearset to transmit the torque. Under straight driving conditions, the gearset does not rotate (because booth tires are going the same speed). When one tire starts to slip, the Friction in the gearset transmits Torque to the non-slipping wheel. This torque is proportional to the Torque on the Spinning Wheel (not much on ice). However, if you apply the brakes, even the slipping wheel has torque on it (brake torque). This Torque is multiplied by the gearset and "transferred" to the other wheel. Using the Brakes and Throttle at the same time is called "Brake/Throttle Modulation". It is a practice used on all HMMWVs, since they all have Torsen Differentials. In short, the Torsen and TrueTrac diffs are far superior to a Friction Plate Type Diff and will never wear out. They are not as good as lockers for extreme conditions, but they have almost no side-effects on the pavement like a locker does. Consider a Torsen or Truetrac Diff if a Locker is to aggressive for you.

A Fool and his Truck are soon stuck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode