AUTO TO MAUAL HUBS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 04:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AUTO TO MAUAL HUBS

I have read the previous posts concerning auto to manual hubs. But I still have questions about it. If I were to install manuals on my '94 XLT would the shift-on-the-fly still operate? I am confused as to how this works. Would I still have to shift into reverse ( go aft for approx. 8-10 ft.) to unlock the hubs? Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks in advance and pardon my ignorance.

Mike

'94 XLT 302, MSD IGNITION, JET CHIP, K&N FILTER, DUAL EXHUAST, 31" BFG TA KO'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: AUTO TO MAUAL HUBS

Shift on Fly still work, however you must get out and manually lock your hubs at some point. You can lock the hubs and drive in 2wd until you need 4wd. When you need it just stop and hit the button, just like automatic. You do not have to back up to disengage, just get out and unlock hubs.
This is an example of how I do it. Deer hunting in Texas on a 4000 acre lease. Drive to lease normally on asphalt. Stop at gate entering lease, lock in hubs. Drive in 2wd until I need 4wd. When I need 4wd I stop and hit the 4wd high button and it locks in (you can not disengage hubs by backing up now which is a huge advantage when rocking to try and unstick you truck). When I no longer need 4wd, hit button and am back in 2wd. I usually keep my hubs locked all weekend until I am headed home, including trips to town on blacktop. I do not use 4wd on blacktop, due to strain on t-case, but you can leave to hubs locked and drive on blacktop.

ridinghigh's barn
93 bronco EB 302 32'BFG AT
98 suburban
86 hydra-sports 200 Merc (my other hobby)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 02:29 PM

One other point of clarification. It is shift on the fly, so you DO NOT have to stop to push the button and engage the 4wd high (Note: 4wd low shift from 4 high must be done at a stop). You do have to stop to get out and do the hubs, before you shift it into 4wd high. You can then hit the button again to disengage 4wd high, although the hubs are still engaged in 2wd. There was some chat a week or so ago concerning this hub engagement. It is perfectly fine to leave the hubs engaged, on or off road, you just don't want to be shifted into 4wd on a paved surface with good traction as drivetrain "binding" occurs. I am also of the opinion that leaving your hubs locked over a period of time does reduce fuel economy, although this has been debated. I have done a brief mileage check and did notice a difference. How much? Not so much that most would worry about.

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I always miss something Juice, thanks for filling in the gaps. To be safe, I always stop to shift into 4wd. Just a habit.

ridinghigh's barn
98 suburban
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 05:02 PM

Probably not a bad idea to stop before you shift it, if you can...would hate to see what might happen if I forgot and hit the 4wdLOW button while cruising down a trail.

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 09:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't worry about accidently hitting LOW while moving because it won't engage (I guess Ford designed it that way for dummies like me and you).

ridinghigh's barn
98 suburban
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode