fuel injection totally craped out - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

fuel injection totally craped out

ok, i thoughti had fianlly fixed my 88 injection setup in my 84. it was running good again. after a power relay, it started and ran like [censored]. put in a new o2 sensor, changed tps, egr sensor, ECU all to no avail. truck died midway through my trip to school yesterday, of course she cant breakdown somewhere convenient, luckily it wasnt to cold and i had a fleece and a coat in the back. anyhow, so i get the truck towed home, but in a spare distributor, figure crappy thickfilm died on me. no, still wont start. fuel is definatly pumping this time, and leaking out the exhuast, yet she wont start. it'll barelty attemtp to run, like as if it were firing on 1 or 2 cylinders. any clues? i am about 4 days from putting a four barrel off my mustang on there, so i can drive the truck. i was getting like 12 mpg without overdrive anyhow, so i dont see how it could be much worse. 4 days cayuse thats when i am done with finals and now have to bribe a friend to drive me home. whatever any of you do, NEVER EVER EVER TELL YOUR BRONCO YOU ARE GOING TO SELL IT!!!!! she took personal offense to that i think.

Domininc
Discouraged fuel injection guy

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 07:35 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: fuel injection totally craped out

yes, Ron-Bo and I have both proven that to be FACT... never utter a foul word to your stallion.

have you replaced the coil, or verified that it's putting out spark? it sounds like spark is the only thing you lack. also make sure you haven't lost your engine ground strap... that might affect it, but coil/wires are more likely.

well, then there's always BAD GAS or water in the gas or a slow starter.

oh yeah, you might as well try this. i had a WEIRD starting problem awhile back, and finally figured out i could get it to run by FLOORING IT while i started it then letting up once it started going good. once it started it ran fine, still bugs the hell out of me trying to figure out what was wrong, but it just went away one day, like most problems with this truck

good luck.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 10:38 PM

Re: fuel injection totally craped out

Check for spark and if you have it then check the fuel pressure. Too little pressure and you can have gas running out your exaust to much pressure and the motor will starve.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 10:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: fuel injection totally crapped out

Standard Questions:
Have you pulled the codes? Have you checked compression, vacuum, ignition timing?

Specific Questions:
How was it running just before it died and how was it running the day before? Do you mean you have liquid gasoline running out the tailpipe? Have you checked the fuel pressure?

It sounds like it's flooding, but EFI's shouldn't do that. If you get desperate, pull the fuel injectors out of the intake (one bank @ a time) but leave them in the rail & turn the key on to see if they're leaking. If they don't, try cranking once (be prepared for fuel to spray) to see how they behave - they should spray short, defined bursts in pairs.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode