Need help removing rotor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need help removing rotor

I need to have my rotors cut so I want to take them off myself and bring them into a shop to have it done. I like learning, doing the work myself, and saving a few bucks. Also, I have never greased my bearings before which cant be a good thing, so I wanted to do that too. Its an 87 Bronco with the flange style manual locking hubs.
Anyways, I removed the tire, and slide off the manual locking hub. Now I have no idea what the next step is. It looks like you need some kind of special socket to remove some kind of ring thats behind where the hub was, but I have no idea.
Can you guys give me some step by step instructions on how to remove the rotor and pack bearings with grease? I can see some bearings just from taking off the locking hub. Is that them? or is there more then 1 set of bearings. Pardon my ignorance. As you can probably tell, I need all the help I can get.
Thanks for your time.
Tom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 12:49 PM
Veteran

Re: Need help removing rotor

The next step would be to remove the caliper and yes, there is a special hub nut socket you need. And you`ll need a torque wrench. Theres inner and outer bearings. Almost forgot, you need a pick or small screwdriver to get that clip out behind the hub.

I would go get yourself a haynes manual from the autoparts, it will guide you through it. It would take me an hour to type everything[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].

You might wanna do your calipers while your there and replace the inner bearing seal.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 01:03 PM
Veteran

PS:

OR you could go over to http://bigbroncos.com and they have a tech article on changing ball-joints but it shows how(and with pics)on getting the rotors and hubs off...

BTW, they also have a tech article on 96 hubs that someone was asking about.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: PS:

Those were some great links Broncomania. Thanks.
I looked at a Chiltons manual at a book store earlyer and it was no help at all. If i remember correctly, step one was "remove the tire", step two said "remove the caliper", then step three said "Remove the rotor and hub assembly", step four "install in reverse order".
What kind of directions are those? I know thats what I have to do, I dont know HOW to do them. But the links were a big help.
But what type of grease do you use for everything?
And how do you grease the bearings and the manual hubs? Just slop grease all over everything?? Is too much grease a bad thing??
Thanks again for any help.
Tom

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 06:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need to get the large sheetmetal socket for the wheel bearing nuts, usually available at Autozone or Carquest or such for $10 or so. I think the Bronco takes one with 4 tangs, but I am not sure, I have one for a CJ and a Jeep and have not done this in a while.

After the locking hub stuff, there is just the wheel bearing stuff.

There is a snap ring in there, and maybe a couple locking tabs that need to be tapped flat to allow turning the adjuster nuts. Can be time consuming, but is not real hard.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 07:52 PM
Veteran

Just use a good quality High temp Wheel bearing grease. I use Valvoline Durablend Semi-synthetic but unless your gonna thoroughly clean out all the original grease, i would just stick with the Regular stuff. They have a special packing tool that attaches to a grease gun, but you can do it by hand. Use very little on the hubs.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 02:45 PM
Pooh-Bah

If you're going to the trouble of pulling the rotors off,
you might go ahead and repack, or better, replace the spindle bearings as well.
They are the needle bearings inside the removable hub that the axles ride in.
Again, find a manual.
That will explain it much better than I can.

WD-40 Reverend Grip-Shift
85 Bronco XLT, '69 351W, C6-Shift Kit, 9"-Detroit, Dana 44-Tru Trac, 2" Lift, 33X12.5s
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 03:14 PM

Back to the old since you are that far thread we had a few months ago.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 01:51 AM
Mud in my Veins

Might as well...

If you pull the spindles off to replace the needle bearings, you might as well convert to the '80-86 / '88-92 hubs so you don't have to fight those crappy hub locks later.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode