Thermostat - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thermostat

I have a 90 Bronco with the 351W/E4OD and would like to know whether you guys recommend using a 195 or 180 degree thermostat. I like the cooler running of the 180, but have heard that mileage and performance may suffer. Also that the EEC may keep the engine too rich with the 180 cause it's not warming up enough. Any advice and tips would be great. Thanks
~Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 06:10 PM
Veteran

Re: Thermostat

Stick with the thermostat that it came with. Not only will you have the problems you already mentioned, but motors wear faster at cooler temps.I always thought it would be the other way around but heard otherwise, also Steve83s *project mpg* site mentions about that.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 08:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

don't do it! that's what i'm using right now and my heater wont get hot for sh|t and i'm running below the first line on the temp gauge, maybe just over it on a warm day running 3K up a hill. as soon as i get home (4 days, woohoo!) i'm pulling this beeotch out and putting in a 195. A related question: When i had the throttle body off it looked all nasty inside the coolant passage that runs through it. Is it common for that to get corroded and clog up? I think brown water came out instead of coolant... i need to fix that i suppose ;-) Oh yeah, and are there any good electric heaters for when the engine is warming up, or is that not really worth it?

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 09:31 PM

I am running 160 degree in mine I have no problems and I have heat-not as hot but 160 is good enough to melt ice.I haven't noticed a power loss or mpg. In fact I noticed a power increase. No mpg increase though. As far as running rich- I have not cats and a high performance custom exhaust just got it inspected few weeks ago and It passed! Not sure how but woohoo!!!

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 11:31 PM

I put in a cooler temp t-stat in mine when I put in the new motor. Never would come up to operation temp so that the computer would kick in. Changed it out to a 195.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Muddy, Muddy, Muddy

Dude, you kill me!
Change your coolant. Use the right concentration. Do not use an electric element in your cooling system to aid in warm-up. Too much juice required for your alternator to handle it (1000 - 1500 Watts), and the possibility that the cooling system can come in contact with electrical current. This contact can form pinhole leaks in the cooling system, same as if you have unprotected wiring harnesses in contact with your cooling components.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 12:40 PM
broncoman

Re: Muddy, Muddy, Muddy

Muddy, whens the last time you changed your coolant? Sounds like yours needs it badly. Better use some flushing additives as well. Should change the coolant every 2/3 years.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 01:11 PM
Veteran

He changes it, its that Arkansas well-water

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 01:56 PM
Mud in my Veins

exactamundo! i have used well water in it quite a bit, but i'm not sure if that's what's in it right now. doh. i've got to pull the tstat anyway so i'll drain it out and put in mega chlorinated city water or maybe some hot springs ultra natural spring water! btw, the heater thing was for the cabin, not the coolant.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 02:10 PM

I was wondering,I've been fighting a bad gas mileage problem since the rebuild in my 90 bronco.I'm not sure but I think I went with a 160 thermostat.Could it be that the engine is not warming up and the computer is staying in open loop mode causing it to run rich?

Thanks,
Billy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode