difficulty shifting out of 4L - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

difficulty shifting out of 4L

Went off in the dirt today to make sure everythings working fine (cause its been a while) and thought i was going to have to drive all the way back home in low.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Any ideas why its taking a lot of force to shift out L4 or is this normal for its age?

Honestly, this thing has hardly ever been used in L4 so it cant be wear, but my occasional high idle/surging problem was also happening today so would the fact that it was idling around 1200 RPM make it harder?

Also once i did get it out of L4 into N then teeth were grinding trying to get into H4. Somethings still turning with the trans in neutral. Maybe cause the high idle again?
It shifts perfectly between H2 and H4...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 06:47 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: difficulty shifting out of 4L

When I use mine, I generally just shut er down to go from 4H to 4L and back again.
I get the same grinding catastrophe as you do.
And 4L really hasn't been used much by me either.
Every once in a while, if I man-handle it, and hammer the t-case shifter as fast as I can, I can get it to move without grinding.
But, after hearing all that mashing a couple times, I just take the safe route and shut off the engine.
Maybe we need to use it more often. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>edit: I also put the AT in neutral to free up the drive train. Seems to help.</font color=blue>

WD-40 Reverend Grip-Shift
85 Bronco XLT, '69 351W, C6-Shift Kit, 9"-Detroit, Dana 44-Tru Trac, 2" Lift, 33X12.5s
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 09:50 PM

I have to have mine in park to shift in or out of 4-LO but there is no grinding! I thought someone said the fork could be bent?

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 09:57 PM
Mud in my Veins

If it's a M/T and you're trying to shift the t-case while declutched, you probably need to adjust the clutch freeplay - it may be dragging & keeping a load on the driveline. If it happens in neutral with the clutch pedal released, it may be because the input shaft is aligned with the output shaft & they share a pilot bearing - if that bearing is going out, it will transmit a little power to the driveline even in N.

If it's an auto, the high idle could do the same thru the torque converter. Is your truck carbed or EFI?

[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

86 5.0 EFI and the fabulous aod!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 07:33 AM
Mud in my Veins

It's probably internal to the t-case then. To be sure, park on flat level ground so there's no load on the d'shaft. Try shifting the t-case into & out of 4L. Then turn the engine OFF & try again. If it's different with the engine on & off, it's transmission-related - if it's the same, it's all in the t-case.

[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

With it running in park, went in L4 no prob, first attempt wouldn`t come out, shut it off and restarted the transfer case went into neutral, now i hear something in the case spinning which wont allow it to mesh back into H4. Then i shut her down in neutral and it still wouldn`t go in H4 until i got out and rocked the truck, then it slides in. wierd, cause it slides right INTO L4 no prob!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode