Tranny Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Tranny Problems

Decided to take the '93 in the woods for a spin. All went good. I stayed unstuck! I really didn't get too muddy though, the speed trips through the puddles was washing off the mud. The truck ran great. I smelled something when I was pulling a friend out of the quicksand, but I attributed it to tires. It was getting later in the day and I wanted to get the rig cleaned up before I had to go to a supper meeting at 6p, so we called it quits. The truck took off fine shifted into second, but seemed to never slip into 3rd. After driving like a granny and feeling the shift points I found out I was shifting into third, but the rpms were staying up there. As if it was a torque converter slipping. I have checked all connections and they seem to be just peachy, the computer is giving me the thumbs up (code 111). The radiator was about a gallon low (mistery leak) and the tranny was just about a 1/2 qt low. Not real bad. I smell nothing, not that I think I should...., but what gives? Tranny shop of course want to put his fingers in the pocket, but I want to do what I can first. I need some Ideas!

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14-619573-Crossing.JPG (94.7 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:37 PM

Re: Tranny Problems

If it only slips in 3rd, it's not the torque converter, it's in the trans. Maybe what you thought was 3rd was really the lock up in the torque converter?

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

I know the TC is good, I have good first gear launches. and something past 2nd is slipping and causing high rpms. No lock-up, not the right pressure, burnt band, I don't know.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:14 AM
Mud in my Veins

what do you mean "feeling the shift points"? when i disconnected my ABS computer one time i lost 3rd and OD, and it shifted hard as f**k into 2nd. you might check the big connector that screws into the ABS computer in the engine compartment. mine is behind the driver's headlight.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:35 AM
Mud in my Veins

4WABS & E4OD

A. Why did you disconnect it? For service or because you didn't want it active?

B. What did you have to do after reconnecting it to get it to shift right?

Top: havack doing his best impression of muddy.
Bottom: me doing my best impression of an anchor.

[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

After adding fluid, does it still slip? If it does, it sounds like you smoked the clutch packs. OD band is probably toast as well. Try a complete fluid change, and filter, see if it helps.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:37 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 4WABS & E4OD

Ok, I think I remember what happened. The time I toasted my right wheel bearing I had a truck stop fix it, but they didn't replace the ABS sensor so my ABS kept kicking in on that wheel b/c it read a zero wheel speed on that side. So i thought i could just disconnect the computer, BUT, as I know now, the speed signal goes through there and my truck doesn't like to go without it. It did fix my brake problem but that 1-2 shift felt BAD (full line pressure) so I hooked it back up. Of course, this was back when I knew jack sh!t about anything and didnt know i could just disconnect both sensors and everything would be fine, but without anti lock. I drove 200 miles without my front right brake working, and probably neither rear brakes doing anything, so stopping distances were, well, astronomical. I spent 70 bucks on a new sensor like a ding dong instead of ripping that junk out to start with. Although I just realized that I could probably wire a DPST switch on the front sensors and turn off ABS off-road and keep it working for the road, doh! Oh well, this axle should be gone within the month anyway if all goes well.

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Muddy,
How did you disc. the ABS? Via the control modual or the fuse. I did happen to pull the abs fuse when I went into the woods. Came out and reconnected. I will lookl into the ABS thing, but it really doesn't make sense.

Ron-Bo,
Fluid was less than a half a quart low. I did fill it up with no luck. Fluid doesn't smell burnt.

Havack!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 02:27 AM
Mud in my Veins

i disconnected the huge connector at the ABS computer by the headlight. it has a hex screw holding it on. if your fluid doesn't smell burnt then i bet its electrical... when my tranny starts acting up that fluid smells!

Damn, just remembered something else. The very first day I got the bronco I was playing with the power mirrors and they blew a fuse. This fuse also controls something to do with the speed sensor circuitry.. can't remember exactly but this also wouldn't let me go into OD (or maybe 3rd) and gave harsh shifts. So if that's not the fuse you pulled, check it too.

www.ArkansasMud.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode