Which year is best? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 06:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which year is best?

I would like some opinions on which year of bronco between 1980 and 1986 is the best. I know I want the 351windsor,and I don't care which transmission. Also can anyone tell me how much a stock bronco weighs? And horsepower ratings for the 351?thanks.

78 CJ5/360/33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 09:48 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Which year is best?

The '80-81 grill has no blue oval, and the electrical system is kinda plain (cruise & instruments are flaky). The '86 & maybe the '85 have the plastic radiator & early EFI or late Motronic engine controls. That leaves '83 - what a coincidence!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Curb weight for full-size Broncos is 5000 lb, give or take. If you plan to tow, get a C-4 or C-6 tansmission; otherwise look for the AOD for mileage. If you preferr a stick, the NP-435 & BW T-18/19 are good - avoid the Ford SROD & Mazda (aluminum case w/integral bellhousing). The lower trim levels (Custom & XL) are more likely to have limited-slip differentials than the expensive ones. Check the bottom of the tailgate & the tops of the rear wheelwells for rust. Also, look under the rear outer driver's seat mounting bolt for a crack in the floorpan.

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:59 AM

Re: Which year is best?

The 86 EFI 302 I have has been good to me, if a little parts thirsty.

I like the looks of the 80-86s best though I'm obviously partial to them. All pre-87s let you put an enormous toolbox under the hood, which I find really handy and out of sight of thieves compared to the cargo area.

I'm relatively new to Ford, and I defer to Steve's knowledge, but I believe the 351s didn't go fuel injected until a year or two after the 302s which went partially in 85, and across the board in 86. These two years of EFI were quite a bit different than all later types of fuel injection, especially the intake system.

Sixlitre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:13 AM
Mud in my Veins

EFI years

I'm about 98% certain I've seen '86 302's (carbed) and '86 (maybe '85) 5.8L's (EFI) in junkyards. I never noticed a difference in the intake system other than the placement of the air filter - early models had the filter box mounted rearward over the L valve cover. Exactly what differences have you noted?

[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:27 AM
Veteran

Re: EFI years

I believe your right Malcolm. Im told that all 86 5.0s are EFI and the 5.8 efi system wasn`t ready yet that year so they are all carbed.my 86 efi has the filter over the valve cover and the filter element only fits 85-86s and only the 5.0,(according to the K&N parts listing).
The only thing i have noticed different after 86 is the serpentine belt,(as i still have V-belts) and the air cleaner was moved to the left fender. I think more changes came in 91 .
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:22 AM

Steve

I'm going by a lot of Bronco websites, with histories, I've surfed that say the 351 got EFI after the 302. Also I was sure the 85 302s were all carbed until someone set me straight that they had an EFI 85. But like I said earlier, I'm new to Ford and I defer to anyone with more time spent at these vehicles.

Like Broncomania says the air filters, boxes, intake hosing and placement are also different. While researching those swirled spacer blocks for between the throttle body and the upper intake I became convinced by the application guides all the manufacturers had, that the throttle bodies were slightly different too, though I'm not sure I believe they are that different than 87s and up.

As for carbed 86s I believe, from what I've read, that all or most of the 351s were carbed that year, who knows maybe the factory used up the last few carbs on 302s too. I worked for Chrysler in the late Seventies, early Eighties and they were still sending us non catalytic equipped cars as late as 1980.

Sixlitre

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:40 AM
Mud in my Veins

OK Malcolm - I'll buy that.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I haven't done any research - just vague memories of junkyards across the country. I guess they all kinda blurr together after a while.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I was aware of the air filter differences, including the housing & plumbing, but not of the throttle body and I had forgotten about the V-belts.

I hadn't noticed any changes in '91, BRONCOMANIA - do you remember any of them?

[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 07:22 AM
Veteran

I dont think its of any significance, but in 91 the EECU was changed to 3 number codes from 2.An improvement? i dont know. Somewhere around there or after, the injection became sequential in which the HP numbers went up a little.

But as to the original question, i had read a few articles (but dont recall where) about the frame rails being weak the first two years 80-81. I think its a choice between a carbed or EFI bronco. My book shows that the 351 wasn`t EFI until 88. The 351 HP rating(86-90) is 210 both carbed and EFI, Torque= 305 carbed/ 315 EFI. Dont sound like much but i think these ratings are at the rear wheels rather than at the flywheel. I believe the later 351s w/SEFI put out 235hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode