CB & Antenna - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

CB & Antenna

What's a good Antenna? I just recently got into management at my job and now had to transfer to 49 miles one way all freeway though. I just ordered my Detector from e-tronics It's the one with programmable software $209 , and I need a new CB system. Also were can i get a good antenna?

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:36 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: CB & Antenna

I bought the Firestik II "no ground plane" kit from Valco Electronics on the web and it kicks ass! It's the 4 foot black one and it's mounted on my spare tire carrier... looks awesome too. Here is the page. It was 24 bucks and came with a spring, multi-mount bracket, and matched length of coax.

Make sure you get one for ground plane deficient applications unless you're mounting it in the center of the roof, which might not be big enough to get a good ground plane anyway.

When I gun this three fifty one, you better run!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

How do you run dual antenna's? i kind of like them on my mirror frame-Looks kool too. I might go as far as Neons-Not!!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 02:09 AM
Mud in my Veins

I'm not sure. They have dual antenna kits but technically they are supposed to be about 10 ft apart, so it's really hard to setup right on a vehicle. Besides looks, I dont think there's any real reason to use duals. But if you have the mirrors that will mount them (easily) then I guess just order up a dual 3 ft kit or whatever. Firestik's web page has lots of tech info such as dual antenna setups and how to mount an antenna. www.firestik.com

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 03:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a dual set up mounted to the mirrors of my Bronco. They are Wilson Fiberglass antennas (considered one of the best). BLACK - the way to go, they look damn cool. They are 3' (or maybe 4') high.

In order to run duals, you first need a pair of antennas that adverise they work in a dual set up (also known as co-phased). You will need an 18 foot length of RG-59/AU cable. Thats 18 feet per side, 32 feet total. You can try a shorter run (9 feet per side) but most antennas recomend 18 feet. (I tried both, go with the antenna's recomendations beleive me its worh it) Do not coil up the excess wire in one spot - it will degrade performance... take up the slack by randomly distributing it under the dash, carpet, seat, or what have you.

Wilson's co-phased antennas recomend that they be 8.5 to 9 feet apart for best performance, so yeah a Bronco is a bit narrower than a Peterbuilt, but they still work fine. Performance really lacks when they are closer than 4 feet. My antennas have adjustable tips and with an SWR meter, they can both be tuned to match your set.

Hope this answers some of your questions. check out www.wilsonantenna.com for more info

riff-raff

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 07:44 AM
Veteran

I have mine mounted on the spare tire carrier like yours muddy but i got a crappy radio shack antennae.
If i got one of those firestiks would i have to run new coax(matched length)? Ive got it so neatly fastened to the inside frame rail.
Also are they pretuned or do they all have that adjustable tip(no longer have a SWR meter), and the 4` GPD one listed is just 100 watts, wouldn`t it be better to get a higher wattage antennae?
Dont know nutin bout this radio stuff

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 10:28 AM
Mud in my Veins

Well, considering that the legal limit on CB is 5 or 6 watts, I don't see how you'd need anything more than 100W rated. Yeah, for the NGP setup you'd need to run their coax for best performance, but the existing stuff might mork. It does have a tunable tip but this is the weird part. My radio has a SWR knob, and instead of tuning the antenna I just tuned that knob til it went down to around 1 and I was done. I don't know how that works but it sure was easy and must've worked because this setup really talks far (i talked 8 miles to my brother one night, i was elevated but that's good stuff for that crowded band). I suppose you could spend more but I've never heard anything bad about Firestik and you're not going to hear anything bad from me either.

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 12:36 PM
Shilo

I agree w/the Firestik II reco. I've got one and it's sweet IMO. Sooooo easily tuneable w/a screw on top of the antenna. I got it from a company online called Alf Enterprises. Ordered online and it arrived promptly at my door. Anyway, I only have experience w/Radio Sh*t's POS antennas and the Firestik. FWIW.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reveiws, I'm thinking about the bearcat PC78LTW for $105 and The dual 4ft antennas for $49 I would like to hook up my stero to the cb antennas but I don't have the know how to do it or even if you could.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you travel in groups and all want to have a good radio setup go with a cb/ssb (single side band) and use the firestick it will give you great comunications and much greater range it will also give your group a little privacy since not many rigs are using ssb. i am able to get 20 miles or better in good conditions with the group i offroad with we all have kenwood units with swr meters and antenna switches. when we set up somewhere one of the rigs sets up a 20 foot antenna to get good reach to the rest of the traveling group. good luck

owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode