I wanna rollbar - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

I wanna rollbar

Anyone have a rollbar in the Bronc??? I am looking to go custom. I have seen the pictures of Brian Soderblums custom cage on the web, and will pattern mine after his. I am looking to go a little more simplistic. I want a four point cage basically looping from one side of the cab to the other, just behind the front seats and would then have bars going back to slightly behind the rear seat. The whole cage would just fit inside the hardtop and the rearward bars would be high enough and extend just far enough to allow mounting of the rear shoulder belt.

THE QUESTION IS: WHO CAN DO THIS CUSTOM WORK NOT FAR FROM ME IN THE STATE OF OREGON?
Let me know if you have any leads on a shop. I would very much appreciate it . This cage plays into my plans for a custom bikini top for summer. I am not happy with any tops I have seen advertised, so I am going to do the top custom as well.

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 10:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: I wanna rollbar

Raid the junkyards for a center hi-mount stop lamp (CHMSL) that you can mount to the spare carrier or the top lip of the tailgate (with a magnet maybe???) and find a '92-96 Bronco with a crushed top you can get the connector off of.

To be REALLY trick, you could get an LED CHMSL from JC Whitnet & install it in the rollbar with a wiring harness near the back so the truck would EITHER be connected to the LED or the OE lights outside.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 12:34 PM

Plannin' on gettin' upsidedown ?

Sixlitre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 12:41 PM
Shilo

Mitch has a nice cage he built himself:
http://www.superford.org/registry/index.php?vID=13

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I sent a message out to Mitch, so I'll see what he says.

Com'mon Six Litre, does anyone plan on rolling? Seriously though, I want to be able to take the top off in summer. Occasionaly I might have someone in back, and if something did happen, I don't think that would be a very good place to be. Even going down the Highway with the top off (or ON!) is not safe the way some people drive out there.

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your going to go to the trouble of making a roll cage you should make it a six point cage,which will surround the front passenger area and tie it into the frame.Just one roll and you'll be glad you did.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:20 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: TheJuice & steelerfan

I didn't have a cage when I went 360 at 45mph - I wouldn't do it again [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], but if I had known the hospital was ONLY going to sling my arm, I would have reset the inertia switch, pulled the trailer back over, and driven home (like I did the next morning). I'm not saying a cage is useless, but it's also not a necessity. The camper shell has a steel roll bar in the back lip, and the cab's rear lip is also enlarged for strength.

[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Re: TheJuice & steelerfan

Quite a roll there you had. Did you say you had the car pointed rearward that you were towing? So you had too much weight on the back of a long trailer? Did you do the fishtail? That woulduv scared the bejeebees outta me. Looks like it REALLY crushed in the passenger side of the cab.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 02:51 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: volving

Yep - that's the skinny. But I wasn't scared - just really PI$$ED. I remember thinking, "I'm about to fu(k up my truck!"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] as the truck was sliding sideways off the edge of the interstate & the ground was moving up toward the driver's window. Then, I was on all 4 wheels & looking at the white face on a sherriff's deputy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] who had watched the whole roll from a few carlengths away. I just KNEW he was gonna call an extraction crew to cut me out, so I climbed out the window (so as not to do more damage to the door or fender) and looked across the roof. That's when I noticed my shoulder didn't feel right.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] After chatting with him, he convinced me that I HAD rolled, despite my lack of memory of the inversion.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] While I was waiting at the hospital (with my skull strapped down for a few hours), I realized that when the driver's side hit the ground, my shoulder hit the side & snapped my collarbone just as my head hit the side. Then as it rolled, it threw itself up only to slam down on the passenger's corner & the grill guard before continuing over onto the wheels again. That's about the time I was waking up from my nap.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The thing that surprises me most is that I wasn't killed by all the loose cargo I keep piled in there - at the time of the roll, I had a spare tire just lying behind the passenger seat. If it had hit my head, I'd have woke up dead.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode