solid axle swap revisited... any pre-80 experts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

solid axle swap revisited... any pre-80 experts?

It looks like I might actually get around to doing this over xmas break, so I need to get some facts straight. I know I can get the 6" lift coils from JBG for 125/pr. What else do i HAVE to have? I'm gonna fab up some sort of trac bar bracket, but will I need a new trac bar? The lifts I've seen dont have any radius arm brackets, just C bushing kits... does that actually work? The axle just gets rotated upwards a little I guess? That is the part that is confusing me a little. I cant figure out if I need drop brackets or if I need to just put my stock radarm brackets back on... assuming they use the same bushings? I figured there were longer arms available like the TTB lift but I dont see them on superlift's page.

Other miscellaneous things include shocks and brake lines... do I need new ones?

Oh yeah, and does anybody know of a web site where somebody has done this? I've never found one, I'm hoping one has popped up somewhere. A guy I know is dropping the 2 grand on the Fabritech kit, but I dont wanna spend that kinda money (even if i had it).

thanks

When I gun this three fifty one, you better run!

www.ArkansasMud.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Re: solid axle swap revisited... any pre-80 experts?

Ok, I think i've about got it figured out. I'm gonna grab the coils, tracbar drop bracket, 7 degree bushing kit, and a set of brake lines.

Two questions:
JBG lists 80-91 radius arm bushings differently from 92-96. Are they really different? I was hoping I could use my stock radius arm brackets with the bushings in the 7 degree kit, does anybody know if that would work?

Second: Would a 79 drag link bolt up to my existing drop pitman arm?

When I gun this three fifty one, you better run!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 12:31 PM
Veteran

JC Whitney catalog where i got my Prothane poly radius bushings show the same part# for 80-thru 95.

like the new sig...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:38 PM

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I believe your gonna need the trac bar... haha. It's too bad you can't buy the JBG trac bar drop bracket, that would make things a lot easier. Anyways, good luck muddy.

90 BRONCO Custom
6" Superlift w/Steering System
35x14.50 SSR's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I have to fab up a trac bar mount anyway, I might as well include a 6" drop in it while I'm at it, no? A longer trac bar at a steeper angle isn't really a good solution IMO because ideally it will be horizontal at the resting position, which a dropped mount will accomplish. I probably will end up ordering that trac bar drop bracket and then make a bracket to hold it to the xmember and/or frame rail. Hopefully the axle that i get will have a trac bar and all the steering linkage so i dont have to buy all that junk. But i still dont know if the drag link will bolt to my pitman arm or if i'm going to have to get an adjustable one and screw on a different joint or something... i can figure that one out through hands on testing though. Thanks guys, give me about 2 weeks and I should have it all figured out.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 02:28 PM

Good point on the trac bar drop bracket. Maybe you should try giving some Suspension manufactures some calls and ask them if there is any difference between their 78-79 and 80-96 BRONCO pitman arms. It seems if there isn't any difference between them, then the drag link would bolt up fine. BTW, what axle are you planning on dropping in? Good luck, hope you pull this off.

90 BRONCO Custom
6" Superlift w/Steering System
35x14.50 SSR's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Yeah, well, the splines at the box could be different and yield a different part number, but i've got a plan. I've got my old pitman arm in the garage, I'm just gonna take that with me and see if the stud in the drag link fits the arm. If not, hopefully I just need to drill out the arm for a bigger hole. Figuring out how to get the trac bar bracket secure is probably going to be the hardest part, thus I'll do it first so I can put the TTB back on if need be, but i'll make every effort to have a solid D44 under there by the end of my xmas break. Shock mounts will probably be custom too but shouldn't be too critical. Should come out fairly cheap too:

Axle - $150
7* bushings - $45
tracbar bracket - $22
Superlift Coils - $125 (for the pair! good deal compared to leafs)
Brake lines - $80 (i think)
------
$422

Not too bad... might get the axle free if i ask nice, who knows
I've got about twice that saved up for this project so if incidental expenses come up it's not going to be a problem.

Hmm, does anybody know if the D44 and D44IFS have the same drive flanges?

thanks for the help and inspiration guys, hopefully this will actually happen (finally!)

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 10:31 PM

Muddy,

I don't remember what lift you have now, but a 6" lift you will probably need new shocks. As far as swapping parts from IFS to solid, I know the rotors and possibly the hub bearings are it. I know the spindles are different,(the solid uses a 5 bolt, the IFS a 6.) Forgive me if any of this is wrong, I'm trying to go on memory from a while back....

Matt

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

i'm gonna get a hub to hub axle so i'm not gonna have to swap any of that stuff. i have 6" now so shocks should be fine. depending on what's on the axle and its condition i may end up getting new calipers, pads, rotors, balljoints, bearings, steering linkage, etc... but hopefully not all of it!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 07:17 PM

i just ordered my fabritech kit for my new 92. ill post on how it turns out.

now i got a 92 351, detroit, with dana 44 solid w/ARB 36x14.50 TRAL radials. waiting on 8 inch lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode