Cutting fenders Vs Lift kits - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cutting fenders Vs Lift kits

It seems that 4inch lift is needed to fit 33's and 6inch lift for 35's but lately I've been seeing alot more guys running 35's with only trimming of the fenderwells. In all the cases they are running stock 15x8 instead of 15x10 rims. Since the ground clearance on the axles would be the same with or without a lift I would think that the only other real advantage to the lift aside from cool factor, would be articulation of the axle. Would the articulation of the axles actually be 4 or 6 more inches or should other factors be considered? With a trimmed fender does the tire actually miss the fender lip and gain articulation by being able to move up and down inside the fenderwell? Or does a trimmed fender mean nothing more than enough clearance to fit a bigger tire, rubbing as soon as the terrain gets rough? My guess is that the guys who run 15x8's on little or no lift do so because a trimmed fenderwell won't matter if the tire is two inches wider. Does this sound right to you guys? I wouldn't mind shaving a little fender to fit some bigger meats but if I lose all my articulation for the sake of looks alone then I don't see the point. Any insight from you guys would be appreciated. BTW I finally got my anti-freeze leaks fixed. Turns out it was the thermostat gasket leaking from underneath and pooling up on each side of the waterpump. Thanks for the help ya'll gave me with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Cutting fenders Vs Lift kits

I fit 33/12.5/15 on stock susp. with 15x10 wheels... Point to ponder... also the tires DID hit the fender when full articulated and still do with 32's, I need knew bumpstops for the axle, but it is being traded in a couple of days...

Tom

Climb in, hold on, Lets rock and roll!
[email protected]#$%^&* open Diffs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 11:32 PM

OK! I may over simplify this, but here goes. The stock openings and suspension is designed for a certain tire size and certain amount of undercarrage clearance. If you install a body lift, you retain the factory articulation but you can now run larger tires. Downside is you still have the stock articulation, upside is the undercarrage clearance is higher, due to the tires. If you go with a suspension lift you gain the abilaty to run large tire and thus the better clearance, however potentialy you gain articulation, but not always. It depends on the suspension components you install. Cutting the fenders is only doing what a body lift would do. You can run 32" meats with no problems, save for the real real rough stuff. 33" meats will do fine with a 2" body lift. 4" is recomended so as to have no wheel opening rub. The width of the tires even at stock heigth can cause rubbing! That is a beast of another question. Lift helps heigth, radius arms and wheel offset helps the width problems.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 12:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Tom, do you think you would still have had rubbing problems if you would have stayed with the 15x8's? Thanks for the input havack. I want to go with some bigger tires but I don't really want to drop 1000$ for a few inches of articulation. Not to mention the added stresses on drivetrain components. I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons of each. If anyone has any other alternatives such as shackle flips or what-not please pass it along. Thanks again.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 01:57 PM

Re: 33\'s

I have a '90 XLT with 2" springs on front and 2"blocks on rear it cost me $175 for my 2" suspension lift. I have 33-12.50-15 on my stock rims15x8.5 and it rubs on the raduis arm a little when you lock to lock and my alignment issue but I like them.

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 03:05 PM

I dont know if anyone mentioned this, but a body or suspension lift gets your body away from rocks and the such. Improve approach and departure angles to boot, along with a higher center of gravity which isnt that great.

90 BRONCO Custom
6" Superlift w/Steering System
35x14.50 SSR's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run 33x12.5" tires on 15x10 inch wheels without rubbing on the fenders at all. It comes real, real close at full lock/articulation (front and back). I had to take the chrome strips off around the fenders (chrome=ugly anyway [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). I do rub the radius arms at full lock, but even the 31x10" tires I had did that.

Anyway, I'm a proponent of cutting things off the truck to make it work better. Want to run huge tires? Cut the fenders (or take them completely off). Want better approach angle? Take everything off the front. Same in the rear, just start hacking things off... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm not even going to use a tailgate.

I like light weight and low center of gravity. The transfer case is the main problem under our Broncos. Making a low profile skid plate helps. For years I've been trying to come up with a way to get it higher. If I just clocked it a little...

A 4" lift isn't bad though, and I think most kits in that range help articulation. So, if you have the money, I say go with a 4" lift, then fire up the sawzall.

As for the 15x8" vs. 15x10" wheel... A 35x12.5" tire on a 15x8" wheel would actually be a little taller/narrower than the same tire on a 15x10" wheel because the sidewalls are being pulled in tighter. When checking for clearance you have to take into account both the height and width of the tire, they both make a difference.

No body lifts, please (sorry all you body lift'in fans, but I think they're cheesy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]).

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input fellas! Some good stuff to think about. Oznet, I'm kinda of the same mind you are as far as keeping the center of gravity low. Rancho has some pretty nice looking 4 inch lift kits as well. That's good to know about the height of a tire on a 15x8 vs 15x10. I kinda wanted to run a 15x10 more but was affraid it would limit my articulation. Of course the good ol 35's and 6 inch lift kit is still an option but man what a price. Really the cost between a 4 or 6 is negligable at best.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 04:57 PM
Shilo

I like Oznet's approach too. I think cutting the fenders is cool. But Shovel has a very good point about just general ground clearance, I've been in some rock fields where I was glad to know my t-case and tranny pan were up there a little more. If you're just worried about clearance at the diffs large tires and cut fenders are the answer. But if you've ever been hung up on your t-case skidplate (more times than I can count), a lift ain't so bad. I think there's a compromise between lift and center of gravity. I'd go for a 3-4" lift and then cut the fenders to fit 37s!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hear ya! hehe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode