Stuffing 10" subs in factory 5x7 speaker holes? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 11:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stuffing 10\" subs in factory 5x7 speaker holes?

Im planning on installing 10" subs in the factory rear speaker holes. I was just wondering about what kind of sound quality I should expect to get since they will not be in any kind of sealed box.
Shovel: I think I remember an old post where you said you did this. How is the sound quality and how did you do it? I tryed searching for the post but the results never show up (I let it search for almost a half hour but it never stoped searching).
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 11:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Stuffing 10\" subs in factory 5x7 speaker holes?

Six litre is the man with the plan... Talk to him...

Tom

Climb in, hold on, Lets rock and roll!
[email protected]#$%^&* open Diffs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 11:19 PM

http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...collapsed&sb=5

This is the Thread.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 12:11 AM

Bronco Man

I've only listened to them once or twice since I stuck them in. Trouble is my old 2 channel Denon amp is only good to power a pair of my front midrange speakers and a pair of my front tweeters at once, the CD head unit running my other pair of rear mounted tweeters. The two 10" woofers in the back will have to wait until my new 4 channel arrives in a week or two. I just received word from Etronics that it was shipped today.

I did disconnect the mid range and front tweeters and hook up the 10s for a few trips and they were pretty loud, and fairly clear to me, though I wasn't sitting in the back. At one point when they were really pumping I thought I heard a rattle, maybe it was the ashtrays, as when I pulled over to check they were both blown or shook to open position. Maybe I'll glue them shut once and for all.

Admittedly they're aimed at each other so maybe they're not in the optimum placement, but so far they sound great to this "stuck in the 70s, nearly deaf audiophile". The 15 year old denon amp claims 80 watts per channel and made them pump, but the new amp will really drive them and will be able to run all eight speakers with ease and I'll be able to maintain front/rear fade capabilities. Not sure how or if I'll run the 10s as mono yet. The way I've got it set up the 10s won't be harmed in 4 ohm stereo, according to my speaker salesman (whose warantee-ing them).

If you decide to put your 10s there better measure the magnets as they may be too big to pass through the 5X7 holes, mine just made it with plenty of spacing from the 2X12 and 3/4" plywood. If I ever have that much of the interior out again I think I'll put some of that sound deadning stuff on the outside steel .

I'll let you know how they kick with the other 6 speakers as soon as the new amp gets here.

Sixlitre

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the link Havack
Six Litre, that sounds like a sweet setup when your all done. I dont know when I'll get around to geting/installing the subs and amp. Definatly let me know what happens when you get your new amp. Im gonna check out that web site right now. You also brought up a good point about them facing each other, i never thought about that. My main concern is I feal the sound quality would be poor since they are not in a sealed box.
As far as fitting them in the stock holes, Im not to concerned about being able to return to stock setup like you said you were in your original post, so I will be able to cut if needed.
Thanks again,

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 10:53 PM

Broncoman

I'll definately let you know how they sound. I just couldn't bring myself to chew up all that cargo area with a huge woofer box. It's also guaranteed broken glass when the neighbourhood thieves spot the box back there.

Sixlitre

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Exactly.
I already went through the broken glass problem (they came in through the vent window). And the speaker box was always in my way when I had it in the back.
Good Luck.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 11:19 PM

What's the world coming to eh ?

I just got home from an evening out and now I'm putting my coil to sleep inside the house for the evening. Can't wait for that security kit to arrive.

Malcolm

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2001, 09:33 PM

Yeah mine didn't turn out so great. I did mine with 8" JL IB4s. The only thing I can think is the enclosure isn't quite sealed. I have a custom to the trim isn't exactly high quality. I plan on remounting the subs more securely, adding poly fill (slows down the waves), and possibly attempting to seal my trim, because it definetely isn't sealed right now. I would do the same thing sixlitre did his. Mine is very similiar, just my trim isn't sealed and possibly a couple other factors.

90 BRONCO Custom
6" Superlift w/Steering System
35x14.50 SSR's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 01:34 AM

Man JBLs !

That's sounds like it's worth sorting out the trim and adding the sound material for. I got to thinking about the facing each other thing and I'm not too worried as all the other three pairs in the truck face each other and they're not cancelling each other out now. Also the sealed enclosure thing shouldn't matter either as my 6 1/2" mid range components in the doors sound grrrrrrreat as they are, without backing cones to seal them in.

If all else fails with the woofers I'll just pack the back seat with scantly clad young women and they ought to absorb any sound bouncing that goes on.

Sixlitre

p.s./
I thought about 8"ers but there just wasn't as much selection as to what was available in 10" (and I was greedy for size too).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode