9 Inch Axel Choices - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

9 Inch Axel Choices

Are there any Ford trucks with a direct bolt in 9" rear axel that will fit my 1996 Bronco. I would like to get rid of the 8.8" that is in there but I do not have anywhere to do custom welding etc... It would have to be a pretty current axel as I have the VSS tone ring in the diff.

Thanks!
Dave Couch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 07:12 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 9 Inch Axle Choices

No 9" ever had a tone ring in it, and according to Currie (the 9" gurus) it can't be added. But there's nothing inherently wrong with the 8.8" - most recent articles on building axles admit that the 8.8" is every bit as strong as the 9", if not more so.

But if you need REAL strength, check into a '92-97 10.25" Ford/Sterling from a 250/350/450...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info Steve. I should have guesed that there would be a problem... The reason I was considering this swap is that I would like to upgrade the gears from 3.55 to 3.75 or 4.10 and add a locker. With the 9" I can get a prebuilt 3rd member but with the 8.8" I am stuck tearing it apart and building it on the fly.

Thanks
Dave Couch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good things I like about the 9":

1. Removable 3rd member.
2. Beefier axles. Up to 40 splines or so?
3. No c-clips on the 9". (I know you can get eliminaters for the 8.8)
4. The later years 9" is more tough where the axle tubes go into the housing, acting as a little truss.

I've heard that the spring perches line up from a pickup or bronco with 9". I don't know for sure. You probably need to modify the driveshaft as well (for length).

Why is it that the 8.8" full-float kit costs (a lot!) more than the 9"? Is it because of the c-clips or what?

I've gone back and forth about wether to build my 8.8". At this point I think I'm ditching my ABS and going for the 9" when I get money.

I don't like the 10.25" Sterling. Yes, it's super tough, but it's also super big. Unless you're running huge tires you'll be scraping every rock you go over. Well, that's what I hear anyway.

Ah, I wish I had some cash, there's a 78 or 79 Bronco for sale down the road. I want...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 01:08 AM
Mud in my Veins

Cost

8.8 kits are more expensive because it's a newer axle, and not very popular yet. 9's are so common, you can even buy a brand new empty housing to make whatever width with whatever splines & bearings under whatever width perches with whatever suspension you want. Then you can get axle shafts cut to fit, have a diff built exactly how you want and put drums or discs on it. And these parts are made by many mfrs., so competition & demand have brought the prices down.

The 8.8 isn't there yet, but I'm confident it will be as more people realize how versatile & durable it is.

[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 01:27 PM

Re: 9 Inch Axel Choices

I have to agree with steve83, in my opinion the 8.8 is a solid axle. It works well with a Bronco because even though the Bronc is a fullsize, it is lighter than most fullsizes, unless you go and add a bunch of super duty bumpers and a huge winch and what not. The 8.8 can take the 4600 pounds give or take of the Bronco and the power of a 351, and some decently sized tires 35's or so. As long as you are sane with the throttle, should hold up fine. Going to a 460 or a built 351? Or maybe 38's, then I would say the 8.8 may be weak for the application. But I would also say in that case, change the front while you are at it. The 8.8 is really the same ring diameter as the 12 bolt GM (8.875). It uses 31 splines in the fullsize applications, and those shafts are pretty thick as well. The GM uses 30 splines, and I believe the shafts are slightly smaller. C clip not real good. Anyone have the scoop on the eliminator for this? But strength wise most say stronger than a 44, close to equal to the 9", slightly better than GM 12 bolt, not as strong as dana 60, ford 10.25, or GM 14, but as you say, you will lose a lot of clearance with those axles and are they really needed? GM puts 12 bolts under subruban 1/2 tons. Now in my opinion modifying/using that setup is pushing it. There are also aftermarket forged axles for about $100 for the 8.8.

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 01:32 PM

Almost forgot, in some cases the 8.8 is stronger than the 9" depending on model year and application. Some 9's use 28 spline axles vs the 31, so be carelful.

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

About the 8.8" c-clip eliminator. I went out searching since I knew I had seen them before but didn't know where. I turned up these:

1. http://www.moserengineering.com/mose...ts.asp?CatID=2
2. http://www.markwilliams.com (somewhere on there is a pdf document, I couldn't find it)
3. http://www.wildridesracecars.com/axles.html

There are probably more. I'm wondering if that last one is actually using the Strange Engineering parts. I dunno, but they seem expensive at $400 a pair. They look like they have all sorts of axles, I wonder if you can get the 40-spline for 8.8" axles.

I found this Mustang rear-end buildup using what looks like an 8.8" w/ 33 spline axles (cool):

http://www.corral.net/projects/deepf...dfrearend.html

I wonder if all the 8.8" parts are more than the same 9" parts. I didn't look.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 02:54 PM
Shilo

Wasn't "axel" that guy in G&R? Or was that Axl? Anyway, I once looked into the c-clip eliminators before I ditched the 8.8. Serious research on off-road forums told me the eliminators don't take well to side-loading (i.e. driving on off-camber surfaces). I'm not sure exactly why this is, I've never seen the eliminators in person.
There's no question the 10.25 is big, but it's every bit as strong as a D70 or 14bolt. There's also no question I drag my 10.25 over stuff others don't, but it's never stopped me. If you want the strength you gotta have the size, they go hand in hand. Just like if you want big-block power you gotta face the possibility of fewer mpgs.
Don't get me started on 8.8 vs 9" - you're wasting your breath any way you cut it. Might as well argue if 1/2" is bigger or smaller than 13mm - so close, who cares?

'90 Bronco, moonvisor, lowered 5", 225/50/R14, custom graphics (just kidding!)
10.25 rear, ARB equipped (really!)

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 01:52 PM

No it was Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop. Watch out for the Banana in the tailpipe trick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode