88 computer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

88 computer

well, i think the comptuer in my truck finally died. actually, the problem is kinda wierd. i was driving down the road, and the truck stalled, and wouldnt restart. i am getting spark, and the fuel pump is on, but from our attempted stethescope test, the fuel injectors are not firing. i also cant smell gas in the tailpipe, and cranking away, you would think that it would reek of gas. i am thinking that the computer is in charge of this problem, especially with eht finicky way the trucks been running recently, though on my 100 mile trip down here yesterday, it was actually runing decent. anyone have a spare comptuer they are looking to get rid of, or know the years i can take one out of in the boneyard? i dont see why an 86-89 comptuer shouldnt work, as their wiring is identical, and maybe even newer. i know where i could prolly get one back at home, but making that trip is gonna be harder without a car.
Dominic

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 02:25 PM
Shilo

Re: 88 computer

I don't really know what your problem is, but if it's the ECM what you really should do is pull it and get the part #. Then call any large 'yard and they can tell you what part #s will xref w/yours. I think it's Hollander Interchange that allows this but I'm not certain.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 01:12 AM
Mud in my Veins

Have you tried pulling the codes?

The PIP in the distributor tells the EEC when to fire the injectors AND whether or not the engine is turning, so if you're SURE you're getting sparks, it's probably OK. Next, I'd check the injectors - with the key on, they should be hot (12V) on both wires. When cranking, the wire that's the same color on both banks of injectors (maybe Tan???) should stay hot & the other 2 should go to ground intermittently. If they don't, trace them back to the EEC for incontinuity. Also, try grounding them intermittently while cranking to see if the engine sputters. If you decide that it REALLY needs an EEC, remember that Ford only wants $250, and most AP stores will sell you one for even less, so don't pay too much for a junkyard one with NO warranty.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea, there is a clear and power full spark, when i pulled the coil wire. gonna go out today and check the injector wires, once i am done with class, have to go to the machine shop all day to work on a project i am working on with NAVSEA philadelphia. i suppose i will have to fully inspect my 'profesional' wireing job. the main reason i suspect EEC, is the fact that it has been quite wet at least twice, and one of the imes, it stoped runing until it dried out for a day or two. this was almost 8-10 months ago though. will reply if any results. 250 is way to much right now, i was hopeing to spend about 50, and i might be able to getan operating waruntee from my junkyard.

Dominic

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 02:27 PM
Shilo

My understanding is that Ford stopped making our EECs some time ago. To find out pull your computer and give your parts dept your part #. I'd bet it comes back not available. You should be able to get the EEC you need for $30-50: www.car-part.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 04:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, went out and checked today, i got no power at the injectors. not sure what that means, it'll crank, pump fuel, and spark. gonna go buy a can of ether i think, just for the hell of it, to see what happens. thanks fer the advice, i guess i will chekc this place out, especially if i cant get a comptuer locally. New personal rule, fuel injection = for cars, carbs for real trucks that see the mud.

Dominic

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 09:57 PM

If you do put a new one in, I put a bead of silicone around the plug before I mated it with the eec. Makes a water-tight seal. I learned this when i put my engine in. A freind told me about it, Worked for me!
Even know that it has a plastic seal on it.
<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 12:57 AM
Mud in my Veins

Try putting a jumper wire from the EEC power relay to the injector harness so the wire that's common to both banks gets power when the key is on. Then try to crank it & see if it sputters or runs.

EFI is great for all vehicles - it's far more reliable than a carb anytime. You don't really think a carb would run better underwater than your EFI did, do ya???[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, not really steve, but i am just bitching, cause after two years of hard beatings, my truck finally had a fwe things start breaking. i still cant rightfully complain, after all that great service she gave me. although, with the ole straight six and one barrel, i know for a fact she drank stragth water, as i had water up my sid e windows, though i will say when ur in low range first gera, with ur foot on the floor, sputtering at about 600 rpm, you are down in too much water and mud. the ole bronco stll pulled out of the hole before stalling out, luckily. cuase that stock 88 bronco and cherokee werent pullingm e outta that i am gonna go try to jumpering the injectors now, and make sure no wires got frayed or broken anywhere. i'll get back to ya guys soon.
dominic

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 04:07 PM

Dudley697

Buy a tube of dielectic grease(spark plug wire grease) at a parts store and every connector you open to test and/or jump, stuff it full of the grease. It promotes current transfer,discourages corrosion and, while not as waterproof as silicone, it still displaces water and allows you to reopen the connector much more easily 10 months or 10 years from now.

Good luck

Sixlitre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode