Correct Wheel Bearing tightness??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 07:03 PM
Carey

Correct Wheel Bearing tightness???

95 Bronco Eddie Bauer 302 with E4OD and factory automatic hubs. Got that out of the way. I changed the factory automatic hubs to Superwinch manuals. My real question is what is the correct procedure and torque for tightening the front wheel bearings. I learned that the 95 & 96 have a different wheel bearing nut than anything in any of the manuals I can find. It is different than any of my other Dana 44 fronts. Every procedure calls for an inner and outer locknut with different torques. Mine has only one locknut for the bearings with a semicircle locking pin the slips into the splines of the spindle and locknut. I had to get a special locknut socket called a rounded hex style, it's not any of the standard 4x4 spindle nuts or even the special Ford only style that has to be compressed to disengage the automatic locking feature. Anybody got the correct procedure and torque specs for this version? This is the wife's truck and I don't want bearing failure or loose bearings to cause a spindle to break going down the road, or anything like that.

Carey Smith
71 (C101)Jeepster Commando
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
Middle Tennessee Trail Runners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 10:14 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Correct Wheel Bearing tightness???

That design sounds nice, mine is a PITA to get setup right. Basically just follow the haynes procedure for the inner lock nut, then keep tightening until you can lock that pin into the nut (if i understand your description). I always have trouble getting mine right, but from what most people say it seems you want it as loose as possible without any freeplay in any direction. good luck... Steve probably knows the right answer though.

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 04:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here are the torque specs for your Bronco. Hope this helps.

Mike

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14-612493-bearings2.JPG (39.1 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 07:43 AM
Mud in my Veins

Nope! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] That's why I wasn't posting. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've never gotten inside a '95-96 auto hub.

[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 07:54 AM
Veteran

SGT6017, those are the same tightening specs for my 86. You sure thats also for a 95- 96? I believe you have to put the earlier style adjusting nuts when putting manual hubs on laters anyways. I would call superwinch and ask them...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 09:01 AM
Carey

That looks like the same page out of my Chilton's for up to '86. None of my Chilton's or Haynes manuals address this particular style of locknut.

Broncomania I know what you are refering to about changing the style of locknut, however all of the references to this are for the one of the other 2 style of standard Dana 44 double locknuts. I see no reason to change them. I believe the design is more than adequate to hold the wheel on. I just want to get the bearing tightened correctly. I put new tires on Saturday and thought to check the bearing while it was up on the rack since I thought I had a warped rotor. I retightened the bearings up by the haynes specs for late model IFS yesterday afternooon. It helped some but I don't feel like they are tight enough. It may just be an early warning sign of bearing failure. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Carey Smith
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 12:10 PM
Shilo

Is it the internally ratcheting style? If so, tighten to 45-55 lbs while spinning the hub to seat the bearings and then back off 5 clicks. If this isn't what you have, sorry - can't help.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 09:37 PM
Carey

No it is not that style but thanks for trying.

Carey Smith
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 03:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

BRONCOMANIA, I'M NOT SURE AS TO WHAT YOUR SPECS ARE FOR YOUR '86, BUT THE 1995 TRUCK AND VAN REPAIR MANUAL 1991-1995 CHILTON PART NO. 7911 THAT I SCANNED HAD THOSE SPECS FOR CAREY'S '95 BRONC.

MIKE

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 03:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Opps, sorry for the caps lock.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode