Power Door Lock - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 02:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Power Door Lock

Any of y'all had to change out the power door lock actuator thingy? The one on my drivers side went out, well it doesn't unlock the door or make the click noise when I push the button anyways.

MY question is this. How do you take that stupid thing out? Hoping one of y'all had done this before. Thanks

Bakes
97 Wrangler
90 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 06:44 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Power Door Lock

The quickest way is to drill out the rivet on the back edge of the door, pull the door panel, reach in, unhook the clip @ the top of the operating rod, & work it out to unplug the connector (it's TIGHT!). But you could leave the rivet & the bracket and just spray some Liquid Wrench on the rubber bushings on the sides of it & pull (hard) it out of the bracket. I preferr to drill the rivet so everything's easier to see & handle - then I use a 1/4 - 20 x 1/2" bolt (with a really thin head) & nylock nut to reinstall it on the door.

I would normally advise testing it before pulling it, but those things are such PITA's to get to that you might as well yank it to test it. That motor was used between '80 & '91 {possibly earlier & later} so they're pretty common in junkyards - just bring a couple of wires to test it with. 12V across it in either direction should make it spin fast & hard. Also, check the collar where the spiral op. rod comes out the end - they often get rusty inside the collar, preventing them from functioning. You can pull the snap ring from the collar, catch the 2 tiny BB's, pull the rod out, & rinse everything with WD-40. If the motor won't spin, it's traxh. Junkyard price is $10-30; I'm not sure on remans & new ones.

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 02:22 PM
Shilo

I agree w/Steve. I prefer to remove the rivet and replace w/a bolt but you don't have to. Beyond that it's pretty simple, it really helped me to have replacement in hand to see what I was dealing w/while removing the original.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 02:32 PM
Mud in my Veins

I got some universal actuators at partsexpress.com and they worked until my bolts rattled out. They still work, just they flop up and down, instead of the locks ;-) They require a little custom work to set them up just right but I think the pair is under 15 bucks so it's worth a shot. Wear long sleeves though, my arms were all cut up from that job.

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode