I hate to say this... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 01:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hate to say this...

Well, you can start to say your good byes to me, because I think I have traded my bronco for something else-gulp- an 88 GMC sierra, 4x4, with a 350, automatic with O/D, single cab short base. I know, I know, it is a GM, but it is two years newer, and seems real strong. The guy was asking $3000 for it, because it has 180k on it, but the body is better than my dads 2000 Z71 with 50k on it. And the tranny shifts perfectly, with a slight leak- haven't fully investigated yet- brand new Mud Kings 31/10.5, and engine seems real strong- can't go wrong with a 350. So any way, I may be leaving soon to jump to Gm fullsize, but don't know if it will go through, just waiting on his dad to say yes. Can I change my name? Or do I have to start all over? I will have a formal good bye if I leave, and i will keep in touch. The truck has been babied its whole life, and my buddy said he hasn't taken the thing off road but maybe twice, and some old guy had it before him. I will see ya'll around...

Sorry SBV1 for not calling you last weekend- been too busy with my stock show.

Tom

Climb in, hold on, Lets rock and roll!
[email protected]#$%^&* open Diffs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 10:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: I hate to say this...

Sounds like a cool truck, I'm thinking bout trading mine out (or more realistically, "setting the ol horse out to pasture") for a TBI chevy 4x4 pickup of sorts, dont really care about configuration too much, as long as it hasnt been put through the crap I give this bronco. I'm in no hurry, so when I have some $$ to put down on one I will be very picky, cuz I definitely know what to look for in a 4x4 at this point. I agree, the 350 TBI just cant be beat, I really like it. I guess I could put one in my bronco... hmmm... would it spontaneously combust if I did that? Haha, I really just want to get a pickup, and mainly b/c of that engine I'm thinking chevy (but prefer GMC just cuz it's not chevy, ya know?). The 351 aint bad but damn after I've worked on every moving part of my truck, the scenery gets a little old and I need new scenery. You can get a brand new crate 350 from GM for 2 grand, so even if you had to put one in it would still be a nice truck for 5 grand, with a brand new motor to boot. Sounds like a good deal. Hope i dont get flamed too much for this ;-)

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When it comes to aftermarket parts it really is hard to beat a chevy. Even the engine compartments seem very free of emission clutter. Ya know all the hoses and stuff. I've always wanted another truck sitting around to fix up. I was about to get a 78 or 79 F-250. Always been partial to that model. Solid front axle Highboy lift,ect,ect. I got my Bronc for $3600 and most of the F-250's were the same or up to $6000. Even at that, they needed alot of work. I'm the type that would end up wanting the total restoration equvalent so that might have to wait till work picks up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 11:09 PM

Good luck with it but remember....

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Of course he's never had any problems, like he's going to tell a prospective buyer.

Hey Muddy, just remember that Mopar won the smallblack AND the bigblock crate motor shootouts HANDS DOWN, both at Hot Rod and on TV at Horsepressure TV on Speedvision. They stomped the much bigger GM 502 on torque and horsepower with a considerably smaller 440.

I won't drive GM because they are too expensive used initially and used parts are out of sight and non existent at junk yards (someone's always been there first). Nearly a quarter of a century of driving has proved to me, and some of my buddies (who formerly drove GMs) that this is very true.

Malcolm

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 11:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah I believe that he has been pretty honest with me so far, plus all of his friends that I know have told what he does to the truck- how much he babies it- but anyway he said he is getting a 95 F350 crew cab diesel for graduation, and he is wanting to get rid of this. Likes the Idea of a HUGE system. He was supposed to call me today but didn't so hopefully tomorrow-Lord I hope my bronco don't hear me!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tom

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 01:46 PM
Veteran

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz71?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]shame on you muddy![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Id rather have a subaru BRAT!!!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 02:27 PM
Mud in my Veins

I never said z71!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm talking bout a GMC W/T or something, not a silverado or (he|| fu**ing no) Zee-Seventy-Uno. Maybe the whole thing is a bad idea, I dont want to blend in with THAT crowd. Hmm, a PSD 3/4 ton ford would be nice but I dont know if I want to pay a premium for something that eats only 1000 dollar parts. That would be fun though, to hop up a diesel and blow black smoke. I might be able to justify it with the older non-turbo gas mileage, though, and those are probably the only ones I could afford anyway, but it's tough to find one that hasnt been used to pull a 4000 sq ft house around. About the MOPAR comment, dont even go there.

How powerful is the 460 (in numbers)? And what kind of mileage would a MAF 460 get (4x4 long bed), on stock tires driven reasonably on the highway? I only do significant city driving in the summer, but I make decent $$ then so I will drop a little coin on gas if I have to. Hmm, I think thats what project MPG was, I'm gonna have to go look that up now. Big block power would be fun. See there, you've shamed me back to ford, jolly good job MANIA! Thanks for keeping me on track.

ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 02:29 PM
Shilo

U can't beat Chevy's IFS for wheel travel (heavy sarcasm) plus the front CV shafts are sweet (more heavy sarcasm). Go for a '91 Blazer, TBI plus live axles front and rear, even if they are just 10 bolts. Then you've basically got a Bronco w/solid front axle and a 350 (which really ain't a bad motor by any means). My .02

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 03:26 PM
Mud in my Veins

Nah, that 91 style isn't the best... I could never go from a 93 ford to a 91 chevy, thats like stepping back in time as far as looks. My next truck isnt going off road (at first anyway), so wheel travel and cv's are no big deal, as it will be riding around on 31's. I just need a bed (i get asked to haul everybody's crap as it is, might as well have a bed to use for that) and it needs to be able to pull a Zuk around (~2500 lbs but I'm sure it will get heavier by the month). The bronco works fine for me but it's kinda falling apart and I dont really think it's worth dropping 2 grand on an engine rebuild at this point. I'm still mulling it over in my head.. I have no idea what I want to do at this point, but I do need to fix my front end b/c something is bad wrong... something besides the coil springs is absorbing impacts (ouch) and it makes bad clanking under flex. When i get home for the break i'm gonna flex it out and see what moves, it should be obvious cuz this sucker is coming apart.

ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2001, 11:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess nobody knows if I can change my name from 86bronc to like kickinass88 or something?

Anyway, I need to add a few things, when I test drove it the 4x4 didn't work, and he said he replaced the pass. side half shaft. I talked to the guy the other day and he said that he took it in and had it looked at and they told him it was his other half shaft and the bearings were blown. So he said he would fix it then ask his dad. So the thing pretty much has new 4wheel drive components except for tcase, diff, and Drive shaft. But I think it will go through. I still can't believe the graduation present he is getting- don't know if I already said but a 95 crew cab power stroke 4x4! SWEEET.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode