Winter Tires - Follow Up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Winter Tires - Follow Up

Got a question...but first...
I've been yacking here for a while and realized I haven't properly introduced myself, so here's a short introduction.
The wife and I moved to Helena, MT after bailing out of the Seattle area 2-1/2 years ago.
Lived there all our lives, don't ask, OK, you asked, had my 40th birthday party blow-out the week before we moved.
We certainly get out off-roading alot more here than there, and we really never did much of the "city-culture" stuff anyway.
Folks around here actually wave at each other on the road cause they're just happy to see someone!

I've really enjoyed giving my 2cents worth (and then some) at times on the Ford forums.
Hopefully I've actually helped someone with my comments on occasion.

Without further ado, has anyone used BFG Trac Edge??
I run BFG AT's 33/12.5/15's on 15X10's in the summer,
and BFG MT's (siped) 235/85/16's on 16X7 white-wagon-wheels in the winter.
I'm a firm believer in the pounds per square inch and cookie cutter tire theory for ice and snow.
Well, the ole MT's are about down to nothing, and I was planning on picking up a set of the Trac Edge's (studded)
since we've got ice here pretty much from October to April.
I'm tired of the "white knuckle" flights through town and up to the ski area without the studs for stopping and turning insurance.
Here's what they look like.

da web site

Thanks for listening.
Doug

WD-40 Reverend Grip-Shift
85 Bronco XLT, '69 351W, C6-Shift Kit, 9"-Detroit, Dana 44-Tru Trac, 2" Lift, 33X12.5s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Re: Winter Tires

Come on, somebody else around here drives in the ice!
Here's another tire I'm considering.
The BFG Trac Edge is $150 with studs, and the Buckshot is $125.
I know, sounds like a lot, but so is my piece of mind.
I've dealt with POS cheap crap tires, and am not going there again.
At least there's no sales tax here.

Another contestant...The Buckshot:

85 Bronco XLT, '69 351W, C6-Shift Kit, 9"-Detroit, Dana 44-Tru Trac, 2" Lift, 33X12.5s
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 11:04 PM

I talked to a guy running Buck Shot and he said they were a 30-40k mile tire, did good offroad, and they were cheep to boot.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, if you're talking purely ice and not lots of loose snow or mud, then there are some pretty good ice tires out there.

The Michelin 4X4 Alpin looks good, although I've never used it. 265/70SR16 is as big as they come ($113 at TireRack).

I hear the Bridgestone Blizzak is pretty good... for cars at least.

None of those would be good for loose snow and/or mud though.

In the winter I just use my BFG AT's. We only have 2 or 3 weeks (at most) of ice around here. Of course now that I've said that, this will be the year we get 3 months of the worst stuff we've seen.. wait a minute, that'd be fun.

Here are some others:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/snows.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Hey, thanks for the info.
<font color=blue>havack:</font color=blue> 30-40K sounds good on the Buckshots, especially since I swap out between summer and winter tires.
<font color=blue>oznet:</font color=blue> I've seen the Arctic Alpin and the Blizzak, however, I agree,
they don't strike me that they'd work too well off the beaten track in the deep stuff.
That's why I went with the siped MT's in the first place.
Worked fine in the Washington Cascades "wet cement", but there's a little too much ice in this neck of the woods to not be running studs.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 07:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey has anyone had any experience with these "green diamond" retreads? They look like an interesting tire-studs that keep coming back while the tire wears away. If I get enough money I am going to try these...

http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/diamond.html

Best Regards
Dave Couch

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi there,

I plow snow up here in New Brunswick Canada where we get over 10' of snow fall each year average. I use 235/75/15's remoulds with no trouble at only $90 each installed canadian can't beat it (so like $5 US). I don't use studs because it scratches up the pavement on customers driveways but my bro-in-law here uses studs on his and i swear he could climb walls of ice and stop on a dime at a glazed ice downhill intersection. I saw a demo tire of the green diamond and i could pick the "diamonds" off with my finger. Never heard of anyone's experience with them though.

'94 Bronco = my new pride and joy, can't wait for winter [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2002, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Re: Winter Tires - Follow Up

Another follow up just for <font color=blue>havack</font color=blue>.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
NO, I'm not being sarcastic.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
I think he brought up a very good point!
A lot of questions are asked, problems solved, but unfortunately the results aren't posted often enough.
So.
These are what I ended up with for tires.
Yokohama makes em. They're called "Chaparral Commercial Traction".
Cost...$120 bucks out the door, mounted, balanced, studded, blah blah. (235/85/16's)
They sure work good. Just what I was looking for.
The traction on ice is nothing short of phenomenal.
OK, gotta calm down a bit, before I get over-confident.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Incidentally, the sidewalls are way stronger than my former BFG M/T's, and they have a 10 ply tread rating.

<font color=green>Now, if I can find a better digital camera for cheap.....
There actually are sipes on the middle blocks.</font color=green>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode