Turbo diesl possiblities - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2001, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Turbo diesl possiblities

got a line on a wrecked 97 ford with a turbo diesl motor and the 6sp trans...so will find out if I is going to be up for sale... any body have any ideas on it fitting in my 1981 bronco?

One of the broncos....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2001, 07:11 PM

Re: Turbo diesl possiblities

And how much are you thinking of spending for that combination? Depending on miles I would think you would be shelling out $4000- or 5K, eh? Then you would have to think of all the electronics, unless that was all included. Would your current front/rear drivetrain be up to task? Need much heavier front end components, that combo would weigh a ton...hhhmmmm I like diesels, but the hassle seems immense. how about cooling? Fuel delivery?
Is it a direct bolt up to the Bronco Frame, probably needs some extensive mods there also. Wow, good luck

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 10:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if u can get the whole truck, it will be a lot of work, but it would be awesome. i think most of the parts would transfer over, as the frames are quite similer. plow springs should hold up the extra weight, and i would swap at least the rear axle, as the 9 inch wont hold up for too long, but at least you dont ahve an 8.8 like me. if you do it, keep me informed, as i am eitehr buying a diesel truck, or another truck and a diesel to swap in, after i sell this truck.

Dominic

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 12:45 AM
Journeyman

I dropped a Powerstroke/ZF into my 80. This is not a cheap or easy project. Plan on at least $5k for the engine/tranny. You will also need all the controls for the diesel and any plumbing (air, fuel, etc) a different rad support system and serious frame and suspension mods. Check out my Thor project in this forum. I'm into it for over $40k already and I don't have even have any drivetrain yet. I will admit, I went a bit overboard on some things, but just a bit. Would I do this again? Probably, but that's just me. Masochism runs rampant in my family. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

For a little simpler turbo diesel swap, try the Nissan engine from a Scout II. Because your 81 is a pre-computer truck, its more likely to be successful than with a newer rig.

A friend of mine threw a 6.2L into his K-5. Later he added a Banks turbo and (god only knows the brand) an inter-cooler. That thing makes gobs of power and gets awesome milage to boot (even on 35s). Its a simple swap, but still costly. The D in diesel stands for Dollars

<font color=red>Pharaoh
Yah baby, That's right! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode