Squeaky transfer case? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2001, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Squeaky transfer case?

First post here, hiya everybody.

I just started driving my '86 Bronco after having it sit for a couple of months. Now when I put it in 4WD, low or high range, it is giving me a squeaky dry bearing sort of noise. This doesn't happen in 2WD with the hubs locked in or not. I changed the fluid and it is and was full before. The 4WD works just fine but I don't want to run it at any speed like this down the hiway, (yes, it's snowing here). The last time I ran it for any length of time in 4WD was plowing snow last winter and was powering pretty hard but didn't have this noise.

Any ideas? Is there a typical sound you get when the chain is streached? Does it hit the case and maybe make this noise?

It is a Borg Warner 1345 transfer case.

Never drive faster then your guardian angel can fly. **Wear your seat belt**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 01:01 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Squeaky transfer case?

Hi. Welcome.

I've never heard of anything like that, but I doubt the chain would make a noise anyone would describe as a squeak. My t-case has about 350,000 hard miles on it, and it's only now started making rumble from the bearings going out, so I doubt your chain is stretched significantly anyway. I'd check the t-case fluid at the drain plug instead of the fill plug to see if there's any water settled to the bottom - your front output bearings may be rusted. Or, if you've run it some with the squeak, check the fluid for milkiness.

[email protected]

BTW How fast can a guardian angel fly?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I'd guess certainly faster than 200mph...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 04:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply. The first thing I thought about was to check the fluid and it was OK but I changed it anyway. The thing I think is strange about this is with the thing in 2WD but the hubs locked in this should be turning all the shafts and no squeak. As soon as I shift it into 4WD...... squeak starts. By looking at an exploded view in a manual, about the only thing that starts moving (that wasn't moving in 2WD with the hubs in) is the chain. It's hard to see how the chain itself could make a sound like this while running submurged in oil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 07:40 AM
Mud in my Veins

The chain IS moving with the hubs locked & the t-case in 2-Hi. The hubs connect the wheels to the diff, to the front d'shaft, to the front output of the t-case, which has the chain wrapped around it. It's only the sliding gear at the top of the chain that's not engaged to the main shaft. Maybe IT has rust on it... ???

[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I guess the chain does turn with the lower shaft. Darn, there's hardly anything that doesn't turn.

Maybe I'll just drive it until it either gets worse or goes away........*G*.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 01:44 AM
Mud in my Veins

That's about all you CAN do - I'm betting it will go away. Most systems on vehicles respond worse to NOT being used than to abuse.

[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Problem found and fixed.....

OK, so it wasn't the t-case at all. One of the u-joints on the front driveshaft was wasted, replaced both with HD new ones and all is fine.

Very strange..... even with the hubs locked in and that shaft turning it made no noise or vibrations until I would shift it into 4WD at the transfer case. Then the torque transmitted would load the u-joint up and squeek squeek squeek.

I have noted it in lessions learned....... *G*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode