Coolant MIA - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Coolant MIA

Ok here is the deal. I have my less than 10k mile motor and I checked the antifreeze the other day and noticed I was missing about 1/2 gal from the radiator and the resivor was bone dry. When I installed the motor I filled it with 50% mix of the Debated Orange, drove it for a week or so and refilled it. I really didn't look at it until the other day (7 mo later). I show no sign of a coolant leak and my overflow is in place. Cap is older (didn't replace with the motor) but it holds pressure, never seen it leak around it. No milk for oil either. What gives?

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 07:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Coolant MIA

My 89 would lose coolant like that also with out any sign of a leak from anywhere .....strange brew ...it was the green stuff though.....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 07:51 PM
broncoman

may take awhile for all the air pockets to work its way out if you filled it when it was bone dry. Did you check around the block heater plug? Thats were mine was leaking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 10:27 PM
Veteran

My last motor did the same thing, Hopefully you dont have the same problem, one head had a long crack along the outside headbolt boss area, and it was never overheated.It never dropped any coolant and only had to refill it once a month, it was burning off on the exhaust manifold.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 12:32 AM
Mud in my Veins

I had that problem 3 times: 1st was the old cap leaking very slowly; 2nd was a crack in the nipple for the ECT & heater outlet; 3rd was a defective t-stat gasket with one of the holes punched too far out - it left a minute dribble down the front of the block, but evaporated too quickly to notice. I've also seen cracks in the overflow tank, leaks at the radiator tanks (common on your style of radiator), dry-rot of the overflow tube, & heater core leaks (they often are caught by the housing & leak onto the ground like condensate).

The moral of the story? If it was easy, you wouldn't be as proud of yourself when you fixed it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

If I got a crack that would be ok. Advanced Auto would pay to replace the motor, including the labor. I am going to replace the cap and hope I had an air pocket. The tube and hoses were inspected as I put them back on. Defective ones were replaced.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode