Gearing up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Gearing up

How hard is it to put new gears in the diffs? I never did it b-4 and was wondering if this is something I should leave for the pros! I want to change from 3.55 to 4.56 and would like to do it b-4 it snows. I have 33's on now and 2" lift. gonna be going with 35's next year figured I better get the gearing to give me umph I need. I lost some when I put these bigger tires on.

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 07:19 PM
reds61on

Re: Gearing up

Hey Bob, I just had mine done this past summer. I didn't tackle it myself but did help my friend who had the definite experience. The 8.8 with C clips is apparently not the easiest to set up but was, in his words, better than some. We put a TruTrac in while we were at it and all new bearings etc. Since I was going from 3.55s to 4.10s (I put a lot of highway miles on) we had to change the carrier to a 4 series in both the front and rear. My personal opinion is to make sure it is done by a person with diff experience. It was the setting of the backlash and the use of the dial indicator that threw me off. That and it took 4 tries on 8.8. The 44 front was easier due to the case being out of the housing. Good luck.

John

'96 Bronco 5.8,E4OD,4" Trailmaster, 35" BFG MTs,4.10s,TruTrac Rear,Granatelli Mass Air,BBK 56mmTB,3" Flowmaster Cback,K&N,Jacobs Omni Magnum
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 12:19 AM
Mud in my Veins

I've done 2 now: the first one (in my truck) blew up after about 50 Kmi (lots of towing, speeding, & off-roading); the second... uuuuh... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ...has never been driven. When mine blew, I just went to the junkyard & bought one with the right ratio [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] !!! At $70 plus 3 new seals & new oil, it was cheaper & less stressful than regearing.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

So am I going to have to change the carrier for 4.56? If so how much was it for you and how hard was it?

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 09:58 PM
reds61on

The parts to include the ring and pinions front and rear, carriers, installation kit and the TruTrac came to around $900. I gave my friend $300 for the installs. Difficulty? If it would have been me it would have been a sheer lack of knowledge more than difficult. Setting them up proper takes patience and experience. If I helped do several of these, I would maybe tackle one on my own but It does take time. Sounds like you are mechanically inclined Bob, so it may be something you could definitely do but I would have someone with experience in setting the gears up looking over my shoulder.

'96 Bronco 5.8,E4OD,4" Trailmaster, 35" BFG MTs,4.10s,TruTrac Rear,Granatelli Mass Air,BBK 56mmTB,3" Flowmaster Cback,K&N,Jacobs Omni Magnum
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 02:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't recommend putting 4.56 gears in your truck. If you can find a set of 4.30's that would be great. I have 4.56 in my 93 with the E40D and 351 and at 80 the truck is running at almost 3,000 rpm. I don't know how fast you like to go out on the highway but that puts alot of stress on the motor.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 02:27 PM
mudmonger

Riso,
What size tire are you running and what gear ratio did you have previously? I have an 89 F-150 with a 5-speed manual that originally had 3.55 gears in it which I changed to 4.56s. On the highway at 75 mph in 4th gear (1:1) with 36 inch tires I run about 3000 rpm. In my case with my truck only having a 302, heavy 36 inch tires, and 9 inches of combined lift the sheer wind resistance keeps me from using 5th gear over 65 mph. When I was picking out gears and tires the calculations of old tire size versus new tire size made the 4.56 almost a perfect swap. After the swap of gears and tires my speedometer was within one mile an hour of stock at 65 mph. I would at this time (5 years after original gear swap) recommended to anyone doing a gear swap to go one step deeper than the calculations would suggest. The things I never took into account were the tire's now increased rolling resistance/wieght and the increased air resistance from being higher form the ground/less aerodynamic. At this time I have had 2 sets of 4.56 gears in the 8.8 rear end of my truck. The ones the pros put in at reputable 4-wheel drive shop in Toledo, Ohio and the ones I put in 3 years ago-pros gears lasted 2 years-mine are still going after 3 years. All I have to say is keep in mind that the pros only have a certain amount of time to get a job done and may not go the extra mile since it is not their vehicle they are working on. And, I heavily recommend learning how to read marking compound for gear set-up. You can make all the measurements you want, but if the marking compound doesn't look good you gotta start over. Also make sure the pinion crush sleeve is torqued properly and check the pinion nut often. The pinion nut is notorious for coming loose. This will lead to early pinion and bearing failure. Good luck to all you gear heads. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 02:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That sounds like a great idea to just go out to a junkyard and buy a whole rear end with the correct ratio, but is it too good to be true? It seems that old end that your putting in has "seated" or "worn" itself to fit its existing truck. Is what I'm saying making any sense? If what you're saying is sensible than I have a whole new goal in mind. I have faith in you Steve.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode