Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   Aftermarket throttle body (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/95322-aftermarket-throttle-body.html)

slickerthanyou 11-18-2001 10:28 AM

Aftermarket throttle body

Anybody running anything other than stock. I have a fellow bronco owner who lives in my new neigborhood and he said that he put on a bbk throttle body and notice a huge difference in throttle response and power. After that he did some exhaust work and added MSD6-off road and he claims that he gets 17MPG average. He has 91 w/5.8L a 6" lift w/35 T/A's and headers no cats true dual 40 series flows coming at a 45 angle out the back ( he said the exhaust was a pain in the as$ to put true dual on with the least amount of bends and not cheap it's stainless and 3" $1400). I could only dream of that. BBK says that they claim 12-25 horses and quicker response times also. But it cost $349 + SHIPPING also is bigger bore than stock with twin 61mm. stock is twin 56mm. he said his computer has no problems with the increase.

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>

reds61on 11-18-2001 09:12 PM

Re: Aftermarket throttle body

slickerthanyou,

I just put on the BBK twin 56mm TB. Actually, stock for my 96 5.8 was twin 52mm. The 61mm requires that you bore out the intake passage as the tb passage is larger and it creates a restriction. I went with the 56mm as my injectors are stock 19lbshr and I just haven't modified the 5.8 (cam etc) to make the 61mm be of benefit. I did notice a slight difference in throttle response. Nothing in the mileage department. I previously had installed the Granatelli MAS and with the two combined, the "seat of the pants" feel of extra pickup is there. You can see from my line below what I have done to my Bronco. It has very good acceleration and pick up from idle to 3200. The 4.10s were my best investment, they got me back within a nice powerband. Mileage wise, I don't know that getting more air to the injectors gives me much as I tend to get a little heavy with my foot. My mileage around town and hunting ranges from 11 to 13. My slow nice guy 55 to 60 driving gets me around 15. Hope this helps some with your question.

John

'96 Bronco 5.8,E4OD,4" Trailmaster, 35" BFG MTs,4.10s,TruTrac Rear,Granatelli Mass Air,BBK 56mmTB,3" Flowmaster Cback,K&N

slickerthanyou 11-19-2001 01:55 PM

Was it worth the $$$$. Right on the top runner of mine is a crack. It's covered up with the hose but it just being there is a bother. 1 More question- Is it a direct bolt on?

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>

reds61on 11-19-2001 02:54 PM

Well, if you asked my wife she would flat out say no. Personally, I know it will not pay for itself voer time but overall, I feel it was worth the money. Between the BBK TB and the Granatelli MAS, I shelled out $658 and I didn't save anything in the mileage department but do have beter throttle response and for me, that is what it was all about.

The installation is straight forward and BBK gives very good instructions. A little coolant mess as mine has coolant running in it and it was time to replace the little hoses. That and I split one while trying to take it off. My Bronco has 140,000 miles on it and I am sure those hoses had never been replaced. It took me about 2 hours of "taking my time" to R&R it.

'96 Bronco 5.8,E4OD,4" Trailmaster, 35" BFG MTs,4.10s,TruTrac Rear,Granatelli Mass Air,BBK 56mmTB,3" Flowmaster Cback,K&N,Jacobs Omni Magnum

slickerthanyou 11-19-2001 03:51 PM

Okay- I agree with you, the wives never think what we do to our truck is worth it but sometimes they're wrong. I have the stock one off of the 5.0L that I blew. But a bigger one is what I told myself I was going to do if I ever replace this one. Thanks for the experience-BOB

**DONOTDELETE** 11-20-2001 03:43 AM

Just 'splain to her what a new one or a therapist would cost. I told my wife that and she went out and bought some new furniture.

reds61on 11-20-2001 09:06 PM

You certainly hit that one on the head Steve. I recollect that a shopping spree by my wife for some new threads and foot covers took place right after the UPS guy delivered my goodies!

'96 Bronco 5.8,E4OD,4" Trailmaster, 35" BFG MTs,4.10s,TruTrac Rear,Granatelli Mass Air,BBK 56mmTB,3" Flowmaster Cback,K&N,Jacobs Omni Magnum