PIAA ion crystal lights? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2001, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

PIAA ion crystal lights?

Anyone ever see those fancy looking piaa ion crystal lights with the rainbow colored lens in action? I was jusy wondering if their worth the $190.00 a pair price tag.

I usually see them on the yuppie SUVs but never had seen them on. I have been looking around for a better set of aux lights also and having a real tough time deciding what would best suit my needs.

For lighting up the shoulder of the road better should i go with clear driving, clear fog, or flood lights? i dont think spot lights would be a good choice.

so many choices, Piaa , hella , pro-comp, warn, KC daylighter,round, square,oval,projector, etc, etc...

Are those new mini projecter lights really worth a crap? I really dont like the looks of them but was wondering if they work as good as full size lamps.

The hella rally lights look nice but are probably too powerful to use on the road.

any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2001, 10:03 PM
racemedic

Re: PIAA ion crystal lights?

I could never see spending that kind of money on a set of lights, but that's just me. I have used Hella's before and like them a lot, they are a good light for the money. I have a set of Hella 500's for my XJ that I have not put on yet. Is this for on road or off? I realy like Lightforce lights. I looked at some at an off-road show last month. I would have got a set of them but I have the Hella's so maybe the next set.
Bob

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I looking for some to be used ON road and something preferably that will be ok to leave on with occasional oncoming traffic.

Even though the town i live in down here in central florida is not that small, most streets are not lit not even the Main highway running through town!

Any online source for those Lightforce lamps so i can check em out?

I understand the reflector shape and the lens material are very important as to the pattern and quality of light put out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 10:45 AM
racemedic

Go to www.lightforce.com they also have a dealer list. The cool thing about them is they can be adjusted from a spot to a flood pattern like a maglight flashlight. You can also get amber filters that snap on. They are made out of polycarbonate/lexan and are almost unbreakable. I said I would not spend big money on lights but I would on these. Piaa makes a very nice light but if a rock hits your $200 lights you have to spend like $50-$60 for a new lens. A friend of mine has a set of Piaa 40's, they are rectangular driving lights and go for about $100. Very nice lights with a good light pattern and I think they are DOT legal. Hope this helps.
Bob

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

thanx racemedic, those lightforce lights are pretty trick but not sure if i will get them, they look like they`ll be too powerful for street use. The small one still has 75w bulbs. Two 5.6" lights and 2 yellow wide beam filters will run around $180.00,not bad for the quality but if i cant use them ON the road where i need help right now[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]it would be a waste.

Im still not sure what type of light to get, (fog-driving-flood). Hella has some new FF series (free-form reflector) lights which they claim put out 3 times more usable light than from a std halo lamp with a std reflector and they run around $110. a pair. I might get them.

BTW, i read an article at a website about automotive lighting and it was cracking down PIAAs claims about their ion crystal lenses and wattage outputs(520 series). Also it states that all these new *blue* bulbs and *super white* bulbs are worthless and actually put out less light(on the spectrum)than standard good quality halo bulbs.
I will have to look into those Piaa 40 series a little more though.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 12:10 PM

Re: Brite lites

I run these lights call hyperwhite- they were $40 at the sound and audio shop I deal with also a place called pep boys. Real white brite lite. Has sort of a tint to it almost rainbowish if you are in front of the truck looking at it. but these are the brightest lights I Was able to find and they are street legal. I couldn't find the box they come in but I think they were 65w/110w but not real sure.

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 11:59 AM
racemedic

I never hade much use for driving type lights. I like clear fog lights myself. They put more light on the sides of the road, and are good for around town. As for round or rectangle that's up to you. From a technical stand point a round light will put out more light, that's way all the pro off-road and rally racers use them, every little bit helps. Look at www.central4wd.com they have Piaa 40's round for about 130.00 and rectangle for 99.00 with free shipping.
Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode