sixlitre, what kinda System u got - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2001, 07:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sixlitre, what kinda System u got

Hey man ,
I was wonderin what kinda stero system u got. I got 2 12's in a box waitin for a CD player & an amp (at christmas) & I wanted to c what cha had

Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 01:11 AM

Re: sixlitre, what kinda System u got

Brad

I just put 2 more 1" component tweeters in behind the seat belt bolts on the pillars. The other 2 tweeters are where the sun visors should bolt to, on my SteelHorse overhead shelf, in front of the driver's and passenger's heads. There's a pair of oversized 6 1/2" midrange component woofers in the doors behind the stock door grills.

In the stock 5"X7" rear speaker openings I managed to mount two 10" component woofers. I had to use spacers made out of 2"X12"s with 3/4" plywood glued on top so only the magnets would pass through the stock speaker holes. I was able to use the stock speaker mounting holes to screw the wood to and then I screwed the speakers to the wood, so I haven't butched the Eddie Bauer interior (like it matters on an 86 anymore).

The AM/FM CD player is just a low end JVC but it's all I need to pass the music to the amp which is hidden in the center console. It's currently a 15 year old denon which puts out a claimed 80 watts per channel. The deck powers two of the tweeters and I have the amp running the 2 mid range and the other two tweeters at the moment. I need a four channel so I can run all eight speakers at once.

I'd had some trouble feeding the denon(cutting out occasionally) with a 12 gauge power wire and the amp grounded to the floor through the console. Since I installed the 130 amp Mustang alternator I've run a 6 gauge right off the battery, fused through a 50 amp Mega Fuse straight under the rug into the amp in the console. I also ran a 10 gauge ground straight back to the battery as well. This seems to have solved things and if the denon had another 2 channels to run the 10"ers in stereo then I'd stop right there as it's plenty loud as is.

Steve83 put me onto Etronics.com and their prices(and shipping rates) were great but when I ordered nothing happened for a week. When I checked the status and I asked what was happening and they said they were out of those amps and didn't know when they'd get more. Very professional. I went to Nationalelectronics.com and they said they'd match the price, but their shipping was 20 bucks more so I'm about to order it Monday.

I've been to quite a few stereo forums and the thump-thump-pump-pump dance music crowd seem to be made of money and interested only in getting enough bass to completely finish off my hearing for me. As it is I'm a nearly deaf 40 year old who listens to dino-rock so I'm not really after the best amp money can buy and they're ridiculously expensive here in Canada.

The $109.00 Legacy 4 channel LA 890 will suit my purposes just fine and will be the best part of $300 CDN by the time it gets here. After speaking to several people one on one, away from the forums, they say the 890 amp was just fine and the ones they replaced it with are 5% better(if that) but lightened their wallets by several hundred hard earned American dollars.

I'm fully aware the 890 ain't really 1200 watts. Even if you divide the 300 per channel twice, that'll still give me a real 75 watts per each of the 4 channels and the Denon's advertized 80 watts is good enough, for my purposes, right now as it is.

Here's hoping National can deliver the goods, they claim to have 5 in stock.

Malcolm

p.s./
BTW all the speakers are a CDN brand called Maxx pentivents and are used by all the installers here in this city as they can handle severe power at the extreme temperature ranges we get here.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanx man cuz i really needed to know whats cheap b/c i'm a 15 yr ol who has a g/f & i do not have a job at the moment, so I have about $15 which I just LOST on A rival game (Clemson Vs. Univ. Of South Carolina- I had Clemson by 5 & they lost by 5 so..) I'll tell mt parent's what i want & hopefully get it for Christmas ya know!! Cross my fingers! Aight man tahnx for tha help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 11:33 PM

Brad

my best recommendation to you is to do a search and read up on all the car stereo forums. For heaven's sake don't take what they say as gospel, as a great deal of them either burn money for fun, lie through their teeth (to seem cool) or believe their own hype.

Research on the net is free, so spend some time and figure out what you'd like, then what would work for you and ultimately what you and Santa can afford that will do the job.

Remember legacy is not a well respected amp, I just did enough asking around and spec comparison to know it's gonna do what I want it to. It may not be good enough to do what you want. Whatever you choose you ought to do all the legwork and comparison, before Santa asks.

Best of luck hunting for the right amp

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode