Hey Slickerthanyou how about a poweraid update - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Hey Slickerthanyou how about a poweraid update

Slickerthanyou

I was searching this web base on poweraid swirled throttle spacers, to save a few stupid questions, and I noticed you had tried one. One of your reponses was semi-positive and another was fairly negative.

Do you still have it on the engine. What was your thoughts on the mileage increases claimed ?

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 02:47 PM

Re: Update!!!!!!!!

Well I'll tell Ya, I put it on when I put the 5.8L in. no big thing. Then i took it off maybe 2 months ago and didn't notice a change. I put it back on again and if there was a change I didn't notice it. I would say that it was the worst 80 or 90 bucks I spent, can't remember what it cost. I could think of fifty things I could of had instead of that.Oh well sometimes ya make mistakes!!

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2001, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

I take it the Helix Power Tower is made using the same brand of snake oil ?

Dang I so wanted to try one of those. The guys with 4 cylinders seem to swear by them for more torque and mileage improvements. These people are the only ones (stupid enough to) who actually advertise 2-6 mpg improvements. Other products, like MSD's lawyers have made sure they stay vague on specific mileage improvements.

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 10:52 AM

I'll take it off and sell it to ya for $50+ shipping. That's 1/2 what I paid. And also give me a full tank of gas.I still have the box it came in. Yes I had my hopes on 15-16MPG but not gonna happen with 2" lift 33-T/A's and a very heavy foot. You just about have me sold on that MSD coil though. I have the accel coil and I haven't noticed a difference in MPG. I did notice a increase in throttle response. Although I am happy with 11-12MPG for a full size off-road machine, and move it or i'll run your as$ over mobile.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Slickerthanyou

That's a tempting offer, but I'm still researching the things. There's gotta be more than just snake oil to it, as JET, Holley & Helix are all getting into the game.

Maybe I'll trade you my MSD coil for it and I'll go buy the Crane coil and it's control box. I'd keep the MSD-6 and replace the MSD-5 that's on my Mopar with it.

I guess you couldn't lose with a more powerful coil, that much seems certin.

Malcolm

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 08:00 PM

Well,
Research away, I'll be here, Like I said it didn't work for me but Who's to say if it will work for you. How far away are you from the Falls border? I can be there in 3 1/2 hours and I'm going to be making a trip up there soon!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

I'm about 6 hours East and an hour North of the Falls

I haven't been down there in 6 or more years, but I can't see making it this time of year. Ottawa is due North of Syracuse, 50 miles over Ogdensburg at the New York border.

I believe you on the lack of noticeable mileage or power improvements, but I just can't help thinking there must be some gains to be had if all these bigger companies are getting into this swirl technology. Carb spacers have always helped in the past, without the swirls, so there's got to be something to this, even if it's only the spacing effect.

I know I benefitted greatly from my MSD-5 on my Mopar and from the MSD coil on the Ford, but the actual MSD-6 didn't add any noticeable mileage to the Ford by itself (granted throttle response was better). Others swear it was the MSD-6 that did the trick for them.

Don't worry, I'm first generation Canadian from Scottish parents so I won't be crackin open the wallet until I'm a lot more satisfied with these thing, which will take a lot more research and more people's experiances with them.

Thanks again for yours and have fun in the falls when you're there.

Malcolm

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 08:44 PM

Yep that's tooooo far. So your deep in the heart of the cold!!!

I'm taking the family up there before X-mas the kids have never been there. They'll love it. We're gonna go to the Canadian Side cause I've never been to Canada. It'll be some time in the next few weeks. Keep me updated- I'm gonna dig out the box for it and read the info to see what they claim again (according to the box.)Well the part # is 400-527 thats for 87-96 F150/Bronco5.0L, 5.8L I can't belive it claims 14HP increase and a guy with a '97 Ram 318 says it gave him 2MPGs a Chebby '95 burb'in says 4MPGs . Boy I must be doing something wrong?! Oh well give me a Blower anyday.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Dress warm, hope you like the most Southern part of Canada

You'll definately like our 62 cent dollar right now ! From all I've read about swirl technology it ought to be working, but I've never trusted GM guys when it comes to talking about performance either. They're always fast until they meet a big block Mopar, then suddenly"something's wrong tonight".

It gets embarrassing to listen to again and again, different chev, same excuse, the mark of excrement.

Malcolm

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 01:06 AM
Mud in my Veins

Swirl or swill????

I have a hard time believing there's anything more to this than hype, based on a few years of studying it in college and what I know from other sources. There was a big push in the 50's to build airplanes with "laminar flow" aerodynamics, meaning NO turbulence - it was a technological dead end, resulting in the Voodoo fighter which, while elegantly sleek, failed to achieve anything that could be qualified as success. ...either in laminar flow or combat! It is, however, a fitting name in the context of this thread, since it proves that there is ALREADY more "swirl" in the airstream of your throttle body than a few 1/16" grooves in the circumference of a phenolic paperweight could ever hope to produce or reduce.

Even if it did create swirl, what effect would that have on the stoichiometry of the combustion chamber? It's at least 12" away in the airflow so any swirl created would die off in the plenum or the runners. And if it reduced the turbulence from the accordion fresh air ducts, it would all come back rushing past the rough interior of the cast aluminum plenum and making all the turns and blasting past the valves. So who is Martin and what is he doing to our dry cleaning? The only thing they're selling is brownie points for guys who think their Chebbies with snazzy paint jobs will dust your Mopar.

Now I'm not saying spacers have NO effect - I don't doubt that having a 1/2" thick piece of plastic GREATLY reduces the heat transferr from the intake to the body of an aluminum carb, lowering the temp of the airstream & reducing the vapor pressure of the fuel in the bowl, but what does that have to do with the price of EFI in China?

The throttle body represents such a small percentage of the surface area the airstream is exposed to that it won't affect Intake Air Temp. significantly. The IAT has no effect on how much fuel is introduced into the combustion chamber (like a carb which is operated by the vacuum it generates). There's no fuel bowl, so the fuel temp. is also unaffected.

The fact that many people buy them doesn't impress me either: many people buy Dominos pizza thinking it's better than the cardboard it's served on; many people buy magnetic "fuel declusterers" that are supposed to break up some mythical clusters in gasoline; many people even buy GM & DC products ([img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]just kiddin'![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]). When I find out exactly what the manufacturers think the thing is supposed to do (besides magically drop in 14 HP), I'll reconsider my opinion. Until then, they can keep them on their desks & I'll buy a rabbit's foot.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode