Prestone orange? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Prestone orange?

Is anyone using the prestone <font color=orange>Orange</font color=orange>? Is the<font color=green>green</font color=green> better or doesn't matter? Does it run cooler???

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 08:20 PM
Veteran

Re: Prestone orange?

Dont think it runs cooler but thats the formula that lasts 5 years which most new car manufacturers are using now(me too[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])...

All the major coolant manufacturers are making it now.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 08:22 PM
Veteran

Dont think it runs cooler but thats the formula that lasts 5 years which most new car manufacturers are using now(me too[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 08:22 PM
Veteran

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 08:29 PM
Veteran

This is getting really ridiculous over here lately, every post i try to make either duplicates OR locks up!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]like i said said said said said [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

I know the board has gotten real slow. I just bought a new computer HP Pavillion w/windows XP cable modem and it's still slow.

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2001, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You seem to have developed this stutter! I do notice that this server gets a little slow sometimes.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 10:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

DO NOT use the Orange coolant. It is called OAT (Organic Acid Treatment). It is an extended life coolant, but it is not compatible with Ford seals, and is corrosive to the internals of the block/heads. You will get coolant system leaks eventually.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 11:40 AM
Veteran

ford seals?

What ford seals? dont think i have any left, in the motor anyways. I used fel-pro gaskets and a sealed power waterpump,an aftermarket radiator, anything im overlooking?

If its so corrosive to the block and heads, how is GM using it standard in all their new vehicles?
A co-worker of mine changed the coolant(5 year type)for the first time in his 4 year old S10 pick-up and everything was spotless!!! my step dad had a throttle body develop a pin hole leak when the truck was just 2 to 3 years old because of the lousy coolant Ford uses from the factory. That throttle body cost him around $250.00.

Of course you should change the coolant once a year, but he`s like the majority of car owners out there that trade em in after 4 years and dont do anything but change the oil after 6K.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 11:48 AM
broncoman

I just replaced my coolant with this extended life coolant after putting on some new hoses and new block heater. I was reading the back of this product and others and says its compatible with all foreign/domestic trucks/cars. Says you should flush the old stuff out before adding the new stuff but that only makes sense.

Theres a write-up about choosing the right coolant on the popularmechanics web page - http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...right_coolant/. In there it says this about prestone - "Prestone believes you can retrofit to its organic acid orange almost any vehicle with an aluminum radiator and cooling system that has been well-maintained and is in good condition, if you do it right. However, the antifreeze maker recognizes the possibility of a problem with Dodge truck 5.9-liter V8 water pumps, for which green or yellow/gold U.S. antifreeze is recommended–if you don't get Chrysler's specific orange."

So whats the truth? I emailed prestone and will see if they respond with anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode