Fuel Pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 11:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fuel Pump

I believe my fuel pump is on the blink. The truck is having trouble starting and the pump is making alot of noise. Can you put a inline electric pump on without screwing with the pump in the tank?
93 Bronco 302

ridinghigh's barn
93 bronco EB 302 32'BFG AT
98 suburban
68 firebird (full frame off resto in progress)
86 hydrasport 200 Merc (my other hobby)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 11:57 AM

Re: Fuel Pump

My has gone out as well. Was thinking of the same thing, but gave up on the idea. I don't know what you would do for the pickup in the tank, and you can't leave a bad pump in there. The cause of mine going bad was the fuel filter I believe. I used to think it was ridiculous to change the filter every 10k. Now I change it every 7-10k and no problems. Dealer suggested this. The pump has to work extra hard when the filter starts plugging up. At least the filter is in an easy spot to get to and isn't expensive. I suggest this fix as the most reliable.

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My truck starts after several cranks. It will then start the next five or six times fine, and then it will act up again. The fuel pump is making noise, so I guess it is working. I will change the fuel filter and see what happens. I don't know if this is related or not, but my truck missed or rolls while idling. I want to eliminate all other possible problems before removing the tank.

ridinghigh's barn
98 suburban
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine acted the same way....For a while the truck would have to crank a few times to start, then one day it didn't start at all. The pump did not turn on. I first checked for loose wires leading to the fuel pump, then I replaced the fuel pump relay under the hood. When these didn't fix it, then I replaced the pump....That did it. I also assume the the problem can be isolated with a scanner though.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I doubt you could leave the pump in the tank, but if you remove the sender, it may be possible to just remove the pump and use it as a pickuptube to an external pump. thats how i am using mine, cuase i have an 84 tank with just a pickup in it.

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 05:36 PM
Mud in my Veins

if your 93 is like mine then you'll need some special tool to get the filter off. I haven't changed mine yet but I will now that you guys reminded me of it. I'll hack it open to see how bad things look too. Oh yeah, make sure you trip the inertia switch and let the engine die before you take it off, EFI trucks have some impressive pressure in the lines!

good luck

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 06:12 PM

The tool is a special little round insert that is needed...sorry...forgot to mention that on my earlier talk about changing the fuel filter. It is now so important to me that I just do it. You MUST have the tool. Forget trying to just pry it off, you'll damage the o-rings on both sides of the filter. It is under high pressure, but I just use a towel and carefully insert the tool until it starts to leak out. I got the tool from a snapon guy doing rounds at a dealer. Like $10, I think.

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

On the 93 fuel pump, you will need two different size special wrenches, 3/8 and 5/16. The fuel filer uses the 5/16 exclusively. The job of changing the pump was not bad, considering my hydraulic jack broke in the process and I had to use a scissor jack. I also was unaware of the special tool, so the job was postponed until I could obtain the proper tools. One more thing on the tool, Napa sells a plastic one, and though it works, I am not sure how long it will work due to being plastic. I am sure you can find a good aluminum or steal one on the internet at one of the tool houses. The truck is running fine now.

ridinghigh's barn
98 suburban
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

From my limited experience, fuel pumps just quit. They don't start performing less.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't forget the fuel regulator. It keeps a constant amount of fuel between the pump and injectors for quick starts. When my rig had a hard time starting this is one of the components I replaced. Unfortunately, that wasn't it. It was the fuel pump that slowly died.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode