Anyone Use Dura Lube - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 04:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone Use Dura Lube

I am watching a infomercial(dangerous) about dura lube, they make a oil additive, tranny additive, and a electrical spray. The spray protects it from water- they sprayed the inside of the distributor, where the rotor is, with the DL, and then filled the cap with water, dumped the water, then put it back on and started second try. I was thinking if it actually worked then imagine going through puddles of water:-)

Tom

Climb in, hold on, Lets rock and roll!
Too bad I am not lucky...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 06:58 PM
Veteran

Re: Anyone Use Dura Lube

I bet the electrical spray is probably a good product, not sure i believe any of those engine additives are really worth it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. I have been using a product i borrowed(well maybe i should say STOLE[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] from my step-dad, called Corrosion-X that really works excellent. Its sold in Marine stores but $20.00 a can!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. Thats why i permanently borrowed it...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 07:49 PM

I read an article on oil additives such as dura lube. I can't recall the whole scientific explanation, but the author was sugesting that all the additives have one thing in common, they use teflon, and this is a bad thing. The article went on stating that in the short term life of an engine, teflon really could help with heat in an engine, but doubted that long term life of an engine would be helped by dumping particles of teflon into your engine. I am trying the Valvoline Max Life, Cheaper than synthetic, good for the seals. Just change your oi/filter often.

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 10:19 PM

I've never put anything but oil in my engines. Not saying They don't work. But had good luck with synth. oil. thats all i'll use. alittle more $$$ but if i can get 150,000 miles then so be it. I agree with The Juice- change it often and it'll last forever.

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 07:44 PM

I've used Duralube on some super high mileage(250,000+) 318s my parents used to own

but I wouldn't use it on a lower mileage or good condition engine. More particularly I wouldn't use it on an engine I cared about or a smallblock Ford.

There was plenty of discussion here, a few months back, regarding the ability of smallblock Fords to clog up their oil passages if the oil is not changed regularly enough. I was pleased to hear other Bronco owners state this as mine had freaked me out for a while.

I'd been using nothing but the best synthetic, after the motor break-in period, and it was blowing oil !!!!!!! It was in the Arctic at the time, with a lot of idling and I thought I'd baked the new motor as it was clogging the PCV, fouling the oil breather and pushing so much oil into the air filter box it was saturating the air filter !!!! To top it off the blowby was so bad it blew out my valve cover gaskets.

In desperation I went back to my Mopar chemical collection and dumped in my old standard "Mopar crankcase conditioner" about 200 miles before the oil change. I did this for 3 oil changes and stuck with plain old oil and filter and much more frequent changes for a while and that cleaned things out and completely solved the blowby. Now I don't get any oil in my oil breather, much less my brand new K&N.

Duralube is a last resort on super high mileage motors and for possibly un-sticking stuck rotating parts before you have to tear into the motor and fix them properly. Try some of the Mopar crankcase conditioner(or Ford equivalent) to clean out your passages and see if that doesn't do it for you.

Malcolm

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 09:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i had a buddy that put that stuff in his oil and a day later he threw a rod he blamed the oil treatmed but i think its becase it was chevy

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 02:26 PM
Mud in my Veins

hahaahh, that would be my guess

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 04:23 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Even the DuPont corp (holders of the teflon trade name/patent, etc) say that teflon has no place in an engine. It plugs filters, and can gum up oil galleries (if it could bond to cylinder walls under ultra high pressure and heat, etc why wouldn't it just do the same under lower pressure situations).. Now if the engine parts were teflone coated somehow with the engine apart, it would probably help... But not little particles in a fluid...

Did try some of their electrical spray and it seemed ok... But I'd not put the additive stuff in an engine or transmission I valued very much...</font>

Tim "Sandman"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 12:04 PM
Shilo

I too believe that Teflon in your motor ain't good. If you wanna *try* to unstick sticking parts (valves etc) you can try a little ATF in the crankcase. BUT this is still a last resort and I would only try it on a hi-mileage engine that you don't care much about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode