buying a Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

buying a Bronco

I am going to buy a bronco and was wondering if there are many probs with one 94'-96'. those are the years i am looking at and i want to know what i should look for on one. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 08:17 PM
Veteran

Re: buying a Bronco

If its an automatic, make sure the transmission functions correctly cause those E4ODs are a POS and the only mechanical downside i can think of . Oh yeah, check for cracks between the roof rail above the doors to the topper. Ive seen some broncs with some REAL nasty cracks(if you care about appearance) . Mine is cracked on BOTH sides but i have seen some 5 years newer than mine just dripping rust out of those cracks...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what causes these cracks and what else should i look for. what about milage. is one with about 90K to much or does it have a lot of life left still?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's ditto for the E4OD. If you can, take the time and look for one from the dealer that will give you the bumper-bumper warranty. You should be able to find one for a late model like the '96. Also, when you are interested in one, ask if you can take it to a tranny mechanic and have it scanned. Just checking the fluid is not good enough, the seller could've changed that at anytime. I believe however, that the '95 E4OD was much improved.....That's at least what my mechanic told me when he replaced my burnt '91 for the '95. Other than that you have chosen a great truck. Just with any big 4x4, they tend to get beaten up by their owners, so be sure to take your time and do your homework.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 07:46 AM
Veteran

cracks

I guess the cracks are the cause of poor structural webbing.My bronco had basically been used for trailering boats not off-roading so it hasn`t been stressed bad.

As far as the mileage goes, if its a 4.9 or a 5.8, thats nothing. But 5.0s if not maintained well are short lived, such as mine[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img](thanks to the lack of maintenance the 2 years my sis had it before me) the motor was SHOT at 110K!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 04:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: cracks

pickups allow for frame flex by having the bed separate from the cab. broncos do not have this, so if you drive diagonally across a ditch or steep driveway, it's possible to crack the paint near the gutters. mine are really bad, the paint has chipped off completely and it's starting to rust. i probably should sand it and hit it with primer before something bad happens eh?

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the only engine that i want is the 351. so the years 95-96 are better on the tranny? how many miles have you seen a 95-96 tranny go and also what about the engine? how many miles should i expect. i am looking at dealers so i plan on getting a extended warranty. also what is a decent price? i have been seeing $10500 for a 95 with 90k miles.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 06:38 PM
Veteran

The later model 351s have a roller cam and timing set with steel gears unlike earlier engines with nylon cam sprocket. If it has been maintained properly, i think the 351 should go at least 160K, possibly 200K?
Price to me seems a tad bit high but could vary depending on location.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 07:40 PM

That seems a tad high for 90k. It had better be a loaded XLT or EB. I have the 5.8 and E4OD in a '95 and the tranny has had no problems. I also know that a number of modifications have been made from the earlier years to improve this tranny. With regular maintenance I agree you should be able to see at least 150k+ miles. I hope I do. Mine now has 88K, but it still looks brand new (love white paint, wax it and it hides even the nastiest scratches).

The Juice, '95 Ford Bronco XLT, White, 5.8, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 35's, 4.10, ARB/LSD, lots else
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it was an EB, and i am from texas. anything else i should look for in one, or any other problems

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode