Tow Hooks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tow Hooks

On my 95' Bronco I would like to install tow hooks. I dont care whether they are on the front or back, does anyone have any ideas on an easy way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 03:38 PM

Re: Tow Hooks

http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/tech/recovery/. Try that.

90 BRONCO Custom
6" Superlift w/Steering System
35x14.50 SSR's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 11:04 PM

For the rear, just use a receiver mounted shackle. $30

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 12:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THE article said not to use a ball, how is that dangerous?

Tom

Climb in, hold on, Lets rock and roll!
Too bad I am not lucky...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 02:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

Because if it breaks off and you're using a strap or rope, it will fly very quickly into one of the trucks and hit hard, unless there's a person standing in its path. I've seen them used many times but I won't use one on my truck, i take the ball off and put a shackle on, MUCH safer. And most bumpers aren't up to the challenge either, I've never seen one come off but man they can get bent all to he||, but I've seen several web sites and magazines show pics off them coming off completely. be safe

Oh yeah, click HERE to read our thread on recovery safety, which is definitely worth reading because MY2ND78 has quite a humorous story on there

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I use the ball on mine all the time. I just think if it is stout enough to pull my boat trailer~5000lbs, then it should be able to hold the strap, hell the truck pulled the boat about 100 miles with nothing wrong, so in mind set that would've put more pressure than pulling someone out... guess I am wrong, anyway I am going to be building me a ranchhand wanna be back bumper pretty soon-dang ag teacher has us welding pads still after 4 months[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]-so don't know how long it will be.

Tom

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 01:20 AM
Mud in my Veins

Lemme put it to ya this way. Those balls are designed to pull 5 maybe 10 thousand pounds of ROLLING load. I have snapped 30K pound straps before pulling people out, so that should tell ya that a lot of energy can be stored in a tow strap behind a big truck. I'm not sure how much safer this is, but I don't have a problem with just sticking a strap up into a 2" receiver tube and running the pin through the loop if we don't have an insert handy. My strap is about 2" wide at the loop, so it pulls evenly across the whole pin, so it seems fairly safe to me, but I don't ever let anybody get between two trucks playing tug-of-war anyway.

You'll probably get away with using the ball, I have many times, but a clevis insert is about $30 and potentially much safer... a trailer ball at 50 mph would do more than $30 damage to whatever it hits, guaranteed!

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actualy for the insert ot owuld be around 120 for me because I don't have a hidden hitch, so right now I am using what I got, but I already have the actual clevis- friend in military, works on hummers... hmmmm put two and two together, anyway he stole me one and it looks very stout. So as soon as I get a hidden hitch I will do that but considering I already blew 500 bucks on the bronco, so I don't wanna spend another 120, do I hear Christmas?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
I understand the facts aobut the 30 bucks and the ball damage.

Thanks

TOm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode