Smog pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Smog pump

I just got my truck back from inspection and emmission test, passed both no problems. I had my smog pump unhooked, the belt on it but the air was being discharged to the atmosphere. I also don't have any cats on. I watched the guy do the emmissions test so I know they didn't fake it. So now that I know It will pass I want to take the smog pump off. I measured for a new belt and was in the process of putting it on when I noticed that in order for me to not use the smog pump I would have to also not use the tensioner pulley. Is this a good or bad thing. Something in my head is telling me I have to have the belt tensioner on there. Is anybody using the serpentine system without the smog pump. If so how did you route your belt???

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 05:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Smog pump

if you dont use the tensioner pully how wopuld you get the new belt on tight?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 06:04 PM
Mud in my Veins

If the 351 belt system is setup like the 5.0 setup, then you might be able to use the Mustang air pump removal pulley, but it's 85 bucks at Summit so you might be better off finding a shorter belt. A truck w/o factory A/C might have a shorter one, or you might have to figure out some obscure application like a crown vic or something ;0 If you have a parts counter friend this is easy, but otherwise i'm not sure how you'd do it.

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 06:27 PM

Jim is right, no pulley can't tighten the belt. For what you are loosing in power it is almost not worth messing with! I mean how much will you gain by removing it? One maybe two horses? If you really want to get back thoses horses drill holes in the pump so it spins with out pumping air. thus making it into a pulley.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 11:51 PM

Wish I could help, but I'm V-belts

and I gotta put mine back on before the institute testing here next July

The #%@*ards

Malcolm

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I took the smog pump off my 302. I just put my old belt on, cut it to the right length, and took it around to the local auto parts stores until i found one the right length. I routed it the same way it was before, but without the smog pump, and I kept everything else stock. No problems so far, and I have almost 1000 miles on the new motor.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 02:30 PM
Shilo

I've done this and it's super-easy, BUT it depends upon yr. I'm 99% certain it was '93 when serpentine routing changed a little. But up thru '92 it's a piece of cake (I have a '90 351 and my buddy did the same thing on his '92 351). At first I just removed the air pump pulley 'cause I was in a hurry. Then get a belt 2" shorter - in my case a belt for a 302 IS 2" shorter. The belt then just runs straight from the crank up to the alternator, just clearing the air pump enough to be safe. Works great. I later removed the air pump entirely, along w/the associated tubing running to the rear of the engine (makes spark plug replacement easier) and crap on the pass inner fender. Really helps to clean up the engine compartment, which is why I did it. Obviously you won't gain any horsepower but why have extra crap up front you don't need? Plus it clears room on the inner fender for storage, etc and if you're handy w/a welder you could fab some brackets and drop something else in place of the air pump. . . second alt? York? If you subscribe to the KISS theory and don't have emissions/visual inspections this is something to consider! This all began because my pump's bearings were on the way out, it was squealing bad.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I thought about moving the tensioner but looks like it can only go there. As far as a shorter belt I did get one but I can't figure out how to put it on without the sm. pump. the motor is a '96 351. i think they designed it like that on purpose. BTW- i not looking for extra horses, As shilo said I'm not using it why have it on there. I have everything for it disconnected but just wanted to rid myself of the pump. Maybe I won't??

<font color=blue>Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!<font color=blue>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 05:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

I never even thought about it, but mine isn't functioning now anyway and it is a sonofabitch when i try to change the passenger side spark plugs. I would like to get rid of mine too. I haven't looked at it but I will when I finally get around to taking this brand new POS autozone P/S pump off and replacing it. I'm sure there is a fairly simple way to do it on the newer engines... but nothing is ever simple on my truck SO......
later

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Well if you figure it out please post it cause I can't figure it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode