crappy 8.8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

crappy 8.8

well, i was truly happy with the 8.8 rear i had out of a 96 bronco in my 84, because of the posi it had, up untill the past week. after getting my moter rebuilt, i drive back down to school, drive around a little, am coming home from the store, and pulling away from a light, bam. i assume universal or driveshaft. i was wrong. look under the truck, to see the entire center section twisted about 45 degrees on the exle tubes, stresing the yoke causing it to explode. so i pull the driveshaft, throw it in 4x4, and drive to my apartment. since my old axle is at home, about 90 miles away, i figure ddriveing slow at night i can make it. doing about 45 mph i make it about 2/3 of the way home, and bam, i thought a gun went off, and all of a sudden the tires lock up and drag me to a stop in the middle of an intersection. i put it in low range, and dumping the clutch, the truck is barely able to drag itself from the danger of tractor trailers at 65.

now my question is, is this rear only pressed together? and what hides behind those mystery caps, of whic there are 4, but mine are all missing, and all i see is the tubes where it twisted against them. is ford to cheap and retarded to not just weld the rear, like the good old 9 inch i love? i shall just go on praying and babying my bronco for a while, while peglegged should reduce stress on this crappy rear.

Dominic

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 07:37 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 8.8

The tubes are plug welded to the diff housing, so I doubt they twisted. It's more likely that the U-bolts on the leaf springs weren't tight enough & THEY slipped, but you'll have to investigate & let us know. The fact that it locked up later indicates either high wear or loose chunks inside the diff, so it sounds like your R&P went out & caused all of this - not just a poor design or loose U-bolts.

See what's inside the pumpkin & check the U-bolts. If it turns out that you need a new one, I have a good one with 3.55 ratio ready to roll.

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 08:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

it definatly did not spin inside the u bolts, and the perches are welded to the tubes. the only part that spun is the center section. the gears were turning perfectly after it blew up, as i could still easily turn the remenants of the yoke. i still had my stock rear, so i am bolted up and rolling. i am gonna pull the rear this weekend to see if i can salvage the posi, and i will get some pics of the damage to send you. i dont know if its possible or not, but i definatly twisted the center section around the axle tubes.

Dominic

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 08:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Post deleted by dudley697

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 10:00 AM
Mud in my Veins

wow! That's strange because I know a guy with the 8.8 and an inline 6 and he dumps the clutch and barks his 35's all the time, among other things, and the worse he has ever done is twist the perches off when he didn't have his ubolts tight. I seriously question that housing because those tubes are pressed in with such amazing force that it seems like an axle shaft would break LONG before the pinion would walk around the ring. I'm sure you lost a couple teeth in the process, anyway, so that probably caused it to lock up.

BTW, you weren't perhaps seeing what your new motor is made of, were you???

;-)

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, all i will admit to, is that with the NP435, she chirped second really nice coming out of granny, with the 32x11.5 and a posi that worked good. but even at that, i only banged it a few times. i had only driven the truck for about 4 good drives on the motor, i wasnt gonna drive her too hard till the rings were seated and what not. o well, crappy 8.8 is all i am saying. i am going out there this weekend, and welding the tubes to the center section on this rear.

Dominic

i also know people who beat their trucks a lot more them me, with bigger tires, i cant explian how this crap always happens to me.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 09:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, here are the pics, look for yourself to see how twisted up it is. also a pic of the mutilated bearing that let the pinion drop and sieze me up on the side of the road, in the dark, in the middle of nowwhere, ok, well, maybe not nowhere, but it still wasnt fun. at least it wasnt the ghetto i usually drive through to get to my house once i am closer, that woulda been interesting, to say the least.

http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos...&smi=1&a=41498

dunno how to make that a link. enjoy yourself at my demise.

Dominic

o, and at the thought of selling the truck again, i walk outside last night, and .. guess what, wont start. the starter selenoid decided to crap out, once again.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 03:18 PM
Veteran

What brand solenoids are you using? I have yet to replace mine but i had bought Wells brand for some of my other vehicles and they really blow!

Get STANDARD ign.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 05:50 PM
Mud in my Veins

Wow, you really fu**ed that sucker up! That's really all I can say ;-)

Yeah that is bad luck, but at least it's not a GM 10-bolt, you'd have bad luck about once a month!

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea, thats about the best way to put it muddy. yet, everyone claims it 'cant' happen this one is a standard selenoid, i am not sure what the last one was, whatever pep boys sells. wells is standard, i beleive they are the same company. i dunno, but i gave the rear away, without opening it, to my machinist. he is currently balancing the internals for my mustang engine, so i figure it migth help my price if the posi unit is still good

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode