speed control sensor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 09:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

speed control sensor

I've been having problems with my 87. It has a 302 with an AOD. When I accelerate the engine revs up but doesn't really accelerate much. If I let the gas go and try it again then it will accelerate some. I have been reading through old posts and saw that the "speed control sensor" can cause this. Is that right? If so, is that the name of it. I am going to try and go get the part tomorrow and see if it will fix my problem. If you have any other ideas let me know. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 10:06 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: speed control sensor

The AOD isn't electronically controlled - it's all mechanical. Your problem sounds more like low fluid, worn clutches, dirty filter, maladjusted bands, shattered torque converter, or a generally worn-out tranny. I've also been told the AOD is very sensitive to the kickdown cable adjustment, but I can't tell you how tell if it's wrong or how to set it right.

You have an ABS sensor in the top of the rear axle that's used only for your RABS and a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) in the top rear of the t-case where the speedo cable attaches that's used only for the cruise control. If you have a Haynes or other source, you can look in the wiring diagrams for your year and see exactly how those sensors are connected.

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: speed control sensor

What is a kickdown cable adjustment?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 06:29 AM
Mud in my Veins

Kickdown

The kickdown cable runs from the throttle lever down the L side of the tranny to a small lever on a concentric shaft with the shift lever. It tells the tranny when you've stomped it so it will downshift, or "kick down". When it's out of adjustment, the tranny will run in the wrong gear for the load you're putting on it & it can be damaged.

[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Kickdown

You don't think that this would cause my engine to rev up and not shift gears when I'm at a low speed do you?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2001, 07:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i know u dont want to hear this, but it might be your torque converter. this is exactly what mine did one or two days before i took it in to get it looked at. now i know NOT to ever drive when this happens. when i took it into the tranny shop they pulled the pan and metal shavings came out. 900 dollars later it was good as new, except it was still the crappy AOD. If my dad had let me, i probably would have found a rebuilt c6 and put it in. Hopefully this isn't your problem though, but it sounds awfully similar to mine.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think you are probably right (unfortunately). Someone else was telling me by the way it is acting that it might be the torque converter. I think it is going to the shop soon. Just have to get it there.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 06:03 PM
Mud in my Veins

Torque Converter

The labor to change the TC is at least as expensive as the part itself, & one of the easier tasks (compared to real stuff like replacing the engine or installing a lift). If you can rent a floor jack with a transmission adapter, you can just drop the driveshafts & crossmember and roll the tranny/transfer case back & down to get at the TC. It's only held on by 4 nuts. You'll really enjoy the satisfaction if you do it yourself.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 07:06 PM

Re: Torque Converter

For about the cost of the install you can buy a floor jack!

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 07:06 PM

Re: Torque Converter

For about the cost of the install you can buy a floor jack!

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode