help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

help

when i try to start my truck in the cold after it has cooled down for a while it's really hard to turn the ignition. i'm wondering if it will be completely stuck when it starts getting really cold this winter. does this happen to anyone else? is this normal or should i get a new switch?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 07:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: help

I would get it replaced. There was a recall on them and maybe you can get it for free!

If I ain't in my truck - then I'm getting fuc$ed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: help

Hey Sliper(Slicker) what year was the recall for?

Sorry, can't help but mine just tends to stick after you start it, I figure just pull back on it afterwards...and it also dies on me right after I start it if the engine cools down-in the mornings, and after school etc. Could that be E.G.R valve? I don't know jack squat about engines- but that is why I am here...

Tom

I love Cops. They just don't like me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 06:56 PM
Mud in my Veins

Sticky ignition

That's just the grease in the lock cylinder drying out & crudding up - if you have 1-4 hrs to play with it, you can pull the little rack & pinion out, clean them, & regrease them.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Or, you could just pull the lock cylinder out & squirt some oil in to soften the grease up.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 03:03 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Sticky ignition

Good suggestion Steve.
My little "rack and pinion" broke in 5 assorted pieces last year when we had a week of -15° to -20° (F) temps.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
The key was really hard to turn.
Squirting oil in the lock cylinder just made a mess of the paint on the column, and didn't really help my situation.
Got new parts directly from the Ford dealer, about $20.00, and I lubed em up with synthetic grease.
No trouble since.
Incidentally, they had about 10 sets of those replacement parts on the shelf.
Hmmmm, sounds like a pretty common problem.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
That tilt column is a b double i t c h to work on though!

WD-40 Reverend Grip-Shift
85 Bronco XLT, '69 351W, C6-Shift Kit, 9"-Detroit, Dana 44-Tru Trac, 2" Lift, 33X12.5s
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 08:22 PM
Veteran

Re: Sticky ignition

Almost couldn`t turn my key this morning cause it was 28 degrees out and my south fla broncs not accustomed to this.
If i pull my lock cylinder out to squirt some penetrating oil in it to soften up that grease, are any gears, racks or springs gonna fly out -- like taking apart a japanese fishing reel?

Probably a good idea to fix it now rather than force it to start and break the rack huh?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 12:40 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: moving the cylinder

No, the cylinder is easy to remove on an '80-91 tilt colum: just turn the key to RUN and push in the pin thru the hole pointing down & rearward from the back of the lock cylinder boss of the column and then pull the whole cylinder out. You can then lube the cylinder, but before you try to reinsert it (IF you've turned the key), you have to put the key back in RUN & push the pin in again.

On '80-91 NON-tilt columns, you have to pull the steering wheel to get to the pin. On all '92-97 columns, the pin is accessed thru a hole slightly smaller than the screw holes in the bottom of the column cover very near the cylinder.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode