engine in finally, but no start? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

engine in finally, but no start?

ok, i finally got my rebuild engine in, and all hooked up, and after a little fiddling, the fuel pumps are kicking on, and there is spark when i crank the engine, yet it doesnt seem to want to start ... i had someone play with the timeing, and it seemed to almost try to kick over, but it just wont start. any got any thoughts? it got way to cold out there tonight for me to keep messing with it, i am already sick, dont need to get worse. figure you might have a thought steve, but anyone else with any ideas?

Dominic

i dont know if i will be able to get another ride the 100 miles back to school need to get this baby started tommorrow!

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 03:00 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: engine in finally, but no start?

Check the codes: the EEC may tell you exactly what it needs. How long has it been since the injectors last fired? When I dropped in my used engine, it had been in the junkyard for months & the injectors wouldn't open. I had to ground each bank with the key on to heat them up & melt the gelled gas to get them working. Are you sure you got the distributor stabbed correctly? Does the coil throw steady sparks while cranking? Have you done a compression test? Is the throttle stop screw adjusted?

All it takes to start is fuel, air, spark, & compression; so if it WON'T start, you're missing at least ONE of those.

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes, good point. the injectors are the ones that were in the truck when i blew the motor, so only been about a month. i just got it to start, set the timing, and everything was great. then, it died out while idling after about 5 minutes. crank, no start, check power to fuel pumps, nothing. turn key again, pumps come on, truck starts, runs for a minute, then dies. check pumps again, no power. the relay is good, i just checked it, and had just replaced the one in there with a spare i had. so now my problem is with the fuel pump controler. i believe this is controled by the computer, but dont know what tells it to turn them on and off. any thoughts? i would just hardwire the pumps, so they come on when the key is on, and just make sure i never leave the key on when not running, but i am planing on selling the truck, so i need to make sure everythign works right.

Dominic

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , I am at screen name iskybantilus on instant messenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 02:54 PM
Mud in my Veins

The EEC triggers the fuel pump relay when the PIP in the dist. shows the engine is turning. Next time it stalls, immediately press the schrader valve (like a tire valve) in the fuel rail to see if there's any pressure in it - <font color=red>be careful; it's gonna spray a little gas at you and onto the engine, so take precautions.</font color=red> If there IS pressure, the problem is probably in the ignition system - if not, it's probably in the EEC or the FP relay.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode