EGR sensor resistance values? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

EGR sensor resistance values?

Im getting tired of that persistant 31 code on my EECU. I checked my EGR valve with a mightyvac it pulls and holds good vacuum.Checking the sensor as HAYNES describes, it has the proper resistance in the closed position however it will only go down(and with a smooth transition)to 1000 OHMs w/20 inches of vacuum.The manual has a misprint because at one area it says test it with 10 inches and another at 20, however the values are the same in that it should read approximately 100 OHMs.
Anyway, my Question is, is the sensor bad, the wrong one? even testing it off the EGR, i can only get it to read 600 OHMs with the rod depressed all the way in.
Also, whats the easiest way to check the EGR solenoid? I can only find a procedure in the manual for the later EVR valve which looks different than my 86 set-up...

Im still having a funky idle from time to time since i put the new motor in back in JAN. but the 31 code has been there for a couple years so not sure if its the culprit.

BTW, it pulls excellent vacuum so i know its nothing mechanical or a vacuum leak[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 06:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: EGR sensor resistance values?

I have the EEC-IV Handbook from Dali Design. According to the info on code 31, NOTE: To check the EVP resistance - Leave the sensor bolted to the valve. Disconnect the harness and hook a vacuum pump to the valve. Measuring from the VREF to the signal pin should read no more than 5500 ohms and decrease to no less than 100 ohms. Vacuum should not leak. It also recommends, If you get a code 31 or 32 (memory or hard fault) the EGR valve is probably sticking. "The best bet is to replace the valve and sensor. Especially if the problem is light throttle surging or stalling intermittently." I had the same code and I replaced both the valve and the sensor.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: EGR sensor resistance values?

Yeah SBV1, I checked it both mounted and off, It starts at 4800 OHMs and smoothly goes down to 1K mounted,but thats as far as it will go. The Valve holds vacuum indefinitely. The sensors only $18.00 but the Valve----$$$$$$[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
It never stalls,just fluctuating idle speed, occasionally it misses a little sitting at a light but after approximately 30 seconds, the EECU seems to re-evaluate everything(make an adjustment) and it stops missing. funny it never fails to make that"correction" after 30 seconds, its pinpointing something...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode